USB C not working, Wi-Fi off key not working, can't update bios Aspire R5-571T

pinkbeat
pinkbeat Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Aspire R5-571T laptop. Recently I upgraded to an m.2 ssd drive for the Windows 10 OS. Since then I can't
1. Turn the Wi-Fi off by the function key and F3. I know I can do it in Windows but I want the key functionality back.
2. Can't seem to get into what I need to update the bios. Windows was installed in gpt mode so I don't know what is wrong.
3. I've never tried using the USB C port until now and it seems to do nothing. Trying to use a USB  ethernet adapter since it doesn't come with an ethernet port.
Hope someone can help.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    If you didn't clone or migrate Windows from your old drive then you probably have to load the ACER drivers from this link Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pinkbeat

Tinkerer

I'll give it a try and report back. gotta wait for some stuff to finish on the laptop before I can. I should be able to try tonight.
  • pinkbeat

Tinkerer

JackE, I did that and it didn't change anything. I think I had installed them before already anyway but did it again. USB C still not working and WiFi button still does nothing. Didn't check the Bios update as the others didn't get fixed. Let's start with the USB C problem. No errors in device manager showing, by the way.

• JackE
    >>>I think I had installed them before already anyway but did it again. >>>

Did you try to install the chipset drivers? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pinkbeat

Tinkerer

Yes, I installed all the drivers in the list. For the Wireless Lan Driver I chose, Intel. For the VGA Driver I chose the Kaylake version. Elantech for touchpad driver, though I wasn't sure which one to pick. Skylake for chipset driver but I'd like to verify if that's the version I should use. How do I know? The other drivers were pretty straight forward. 
  • JackE
    Try both chipset drivers to see which one solves the problem. Or you can google, download and install 'cpu-z' freeware which should tell you which mainboard driver that you have since this is the one that controls the USB & wifi bus communications with the cpu. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pinkbeat

Tinkerer

Thanks, I saw somewhere that it was skylake but couldn't remember which program on my computer told me that. Anyway, I downloaded and installed cpu-z and it is indeed skylake. I tried both anyhow before and niether fixed the USB C doing nothing problem. Any other suggestions?

• JackE
    >>>Recently I upgraded to an m.2 ssd drive for the Windows 10 OS>>>

Where's the old drive? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pinkbeat

Tinkerer

The old HDD is being used internally as storage. The m.2 is just for the OS and programs.
  • JackE
    Does the old drive still have the original factory-installed Windows on it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Have you checked if iobit's driverbooster program finds the correct drivers?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • pinkbeat

Tinkerer

No I haven't but, I do have Auslogics Driver Updater. 
    Turns out the usb c adapter that Atolla gave me is the proplem. It works when I plug into the usb A. So I tried another USB C adapter I have and it's working. 

Now onto the WiFi keyboard on/off button. Which driver would be responsible for that?
  • JackE
    Press FN+F3 to turn it off and on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pinkbeat

Tinkerer

JackE, lol, I've done that. It does nothing. That's why I'm trying to fix it. All the other function keys work but that one.