How do I turn Intel Optane off for a specific program? Aspire A315-56

desbest
desbest Member Posts: 54 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops

The first time I open a program on windows it is slow to load then if I close it and open it again, it's fast to load. This suggests that windows is caching the frequently and recently used programs in advance to make it faster to load and run. The first run is called a cold run and the second run is called a warm run.

How can I disable a specific program from opening in a warm run?

I am trying to reproduce a bug on a program so it can be fixed, but if the memory for this program is going to be cached in advanced based on predictions, then the bug will be hard to reproduce, as the bug tends to be about memory usage and allocation.

My laptop has Intel Optane which caches programs in the memory in advance based on predictions based on frequent and recent usage, to speed up the computer. How can I disable this for a specific program?

My laptop is Acer Aspire A315-56 running Windows 10 20H2.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Simply try to kill the program using TaskMgr's end task. Then see if it starts up slowly warm. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    Intel Optane doesn't appear in the task manager.
  • JackE
    >>>How can I disable a specific program from opening in a warm run?>>>

I meant killing the specific program from TaskManager, not optane. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    Simply try to kill the program using TaskMgr's end task. Then see if it starts up slowly warm. Jack E/NJ

But I want it to have a cold run, not a warm run.

I meant killing the specific program from TaskManager, not optane.

If I use Task Manager to close the program, it will have a warm run when I open it again. How do I make it open with a cold run?

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    I think it's an all or nothing jobby with optain, there is the optain management app, but from memory you can only enable/disable ram pinning or the entire thing
  • JackE
    >>>But I want it to have a cold run, not a warm run.>>>

Yes!!! That's exactly why you should try to kill the program in TaskManager to see if it will release the RAM & Optane cache to simulate shutting the machine off without actually shutting the machine off. After killing it, then try to reload to see if it loads slower like it does in a cold run. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    edited March 2021
    After killing it, then try to reload to see if it loads slower like it does in a cold run
    But it doesn't load slower like a cold run after killing the program with task manager. Instead it loads fast like a fast run.

I found the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management program in the Microsoft Store. After installing it I opened it and found that my laptop isn't compatible with it.

However I know of a windows feature that caches programs and files you're predicted to use in the future to speed your computer making it faster. It's called Superfetch, that in Windows 10 it's been renamed SysMain. Even so, it's still colloquially referred to as Superfetch in 2021.

To enable or disable it, open task manager, the services window, or computer management. Task manager has less features for managing services.
    • Windows + X then click Task Manager, or right click the taskbar then click task manager, or use Ctrl + Alt + Del to open it
    • You could open Computer Managment (from start menu or Windows Key + X)
    • Entering services.msc on the run window (that appears with Windows Key + R)
    • Search for Services on the Start Menu
    Once open you should see a window that looks like this.

From Task Manager you can right click a service then stop it, but it will be enabled after a restart.
    To make sure it stays disabled (or off) after restarting your computer, you'll have to use the services window. Right click the service, click properties, then change the startup type in the general tab from "automatic" to "disabled". Don't forget to turn it back to automatic when you've finished what you aimed to do. Also you can click the stop button to stop the service.

Click OK or Apply to save your settings.

So it turns out that I didn't need to disable Intel Optane as my computer never had it in the first place, it was Superfetch that needed disabling. There's more information on Superfetch in Windows 10 if you search Google or Bing.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021
    I thought they had binned off ready boost / superfetch! Good find :)
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ