Acer Aspire V.15 Not Booting, but sees HDD and USB Drives

Helper
Helper Member Posts: 4 New User
I have an once great Acer Aspire V.15 V3-575-72ZX laptop.  Two days ago when it attempted to boot, it gave me a black screen then the "Preparing Attempted Repair" message and then another black screen that does not clear.  I have modified the boot settings to that when I perform an F12 I see the HDD and the USB drive.  I have selected the USB option while a fully bootable WIndows 10 USB was connected.  It will not pickup the USB drive.  I have modified the boot settings numerous times and nothing.  Any suggestions? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    You might first have to set and save a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable BIOS secure boot. Then you might be able to access the bootable USB stick with the F12 menu option. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Helper
    Helper Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have done that.  Today it actually sees the the USB drive and then lets me select it, but it won't continue, get the black screen. USB device is new and is a fully bootable 64bit Windows 10.  The bios sees the hard drive, and the USB, I have access to the keyboard and USB ports, but nothing.  When i try the Alt F10 I get a "Device is missing".
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    Helper said:
    I have an once great Acer Aspire V.15 V3-575-72ZX laptop.  Two days ago when it attempted to boot, it gave me a black screen then the "Preparing Attempted Repair" message and then another black screen that does not clear.  I have modified the boot settings to that when I perform an F12 I see the HDD and the USB drive.  I have selected the USB option while a fully bootable WIndows 10 USB was connected.  It will not pickup the USB drive.  I have modified the boot settings numerous times and nothing.  Any suggestions? 

Try to reset your BIOS by taking the CMOS battery out (see caption below of the CMOS battery) or better still replace the CMOS battery with a new one, your V3-575-72ZX takes a Lithium CR2032 battery, then try to boot your laptop and see if the BIOS reset fixes ‘pickup the USB drive’ problem, also and once you have booted into the OS, make sure that you have the latest and last BIOS version of your Aspire V.15 V3-575-72ZX which is the version v1.06 dated 2015/11/18 titled ‘1. Update Intel CPU Microcode. 2. Update ME firmware version’ be careful and follow the BIOS update instructions as ‘Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution’.

These problems are caused by either a corrupted BIOS or by a faulty component like a Hard drive gets damaged, Operating system is corrupted, Virus attack or a Motherboard error or even a faulty RAM that restricts booting, also look at this guide that deals with "no bootable device" as that could also fix your problem. 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Helper said:
    I have done that.  Today it actually sees the the USB drive and then lets me select it, but it won't continue, get the black screen. USB device is new and is a fully bootable 64bit Windows 10.  The bios sees the hard drive, and the USB, I have access to the keyboard and USB ports, but nothing.  When i try the Alt F10 I get a "Device is missing".

There should be an advanced option on the bootable Win10 installation stick. Choose that option and try to boot the machine to the X : \ > command prompt. If you get to the X : \ > command prompt, enter 'diskpart'. At the DISKPART> prompt, enter 'list disk' and take a phone photo of the result if possible. If not, please describe the result. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ