Is it possibly to run windows directly from the SSD? Aspire E15 575g 55H4

Alan1125
Alan1125 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I have an Acer Aspire E15 575g 55H4, and I am looking for an SSD. I found a WD Blue™ SN550 NVMe that I like, but someone told me that I can't run windows directly from there if I have the HDD installed too, or that I have to install a GRUB. How do I do? Can someone explain me that?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Yes, you can clone the HDD to your new M.2 SSD and use it as a boot drive, download and install Macrium reflect, install the M.2 SSD, run Macrium reflect and clone your HDD to M.2 SSD, remove HDD and boot with M.2 SSD only, once you are happy with the cloning process you can format the original HDD and use it for storage.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    How to clone your PC hard drive using Macrium Reflect | Windows Central
  • Alan1125
    Hi,
    Yes, you can clone the HDD to your new M.2 SSD and use it as a boot drive, download and install Macrium reflect, install the M.2 SSD, run Macrium reflect and clone your HDD to M.2 SSD, remove HDD and boot with M.2 SSD only, once you are happy with the cloning process you can format the original HDD and use it for storage.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    How to clone your PC hard drive using Macrium Reflect | Windows Central
    I have installed the SSD and it seems to work fine, but it makes a high pitch noise, like electricity. Is it normal?
    And I have made a clean installation of windows, but now the transition when changing brightness isn't smooth. How can I make it to be smooth?
  • rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Installing from scratch is advisable to  cloning. You did a good job.
    And related to brightness: is video driver installed correctly? 
  • Alan1125
    rich1974 said:
    Installing from scratch is advisable to  cloning. You did a good job.
    And related to brightness: is video driver installed correctly? 
    I entered in device manager, display adaptors, intel hd graphics, update drivers (automatically from internet), and then in search for updated drivers on windows update, and after a while updating, it now works fine. Thanks for your time