Replacing Wifi Card Caused My Acer Aspire F15 F5-573-71FM's Battery to Stop Working

ianram
ianram Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi,

I recently replaced the Wifi card of my Acer Aspire F15 from the QUALCOMM Atheros card that was originally inside to a Killer 1550i card. However, I forgot to install the drivers for the new card before installing it, and broke the connector on the old one after removing one of the antenna wires. I figured that I could just install the drivers after and continued on with the installation, given that the old card was now broken anyways. I soon found out that not only did the new Wifi card not respond at all, nor showed up in the device manager, but the battery also apparently was not recognized. After doing some research, I found that certain drivers may cause the battery to have this issue, but the keyboard and trackpad (except for the power button) do not work either. The backlighting of the keyboard comes on, but it does not work. Did I totally brick my computer by just trying to install a new Wifi card? Please help.

Best Answer

• ianram
    Answer ✓
    JackE said:
    Your keyboard ribbon  cable connector (not its backlight or power button connectors) has either come loose or needs to be re-seated on the  mainboard. Also sounds like the battery and connector hasn't been fully inserted. I think you need to re-trace your steps and start  from scratch.Since the new wifi card isn't even being detected, it's possible you got a lemon. I suggest  that you re-install the old card even without the one antenna connected to at least see if it'll boot up OK again. Jack E/NJ
    It turned out that resetting was the wrong way to go. I just needed to reinstall the old card. The card that I was trying to install was simply not compatible with the computer, which caused many drivers to go out of wack, including the ones for the battery connector, keyboard, and trackpad. After doing a clean install of Windows and reinstalling the old card, the laptop is functioning like normal again, although in trade the backlighting seems to not work for the keyboard anymore for some reason. I will be replacing the old wifi card with one that is compatible soon. 

Answers

• ianram
    ianram said:
    Hi,

I recently replaced the Wifi card of my Acer Aspire F15 from the QUALCOMM Atheros card that was originally inside to a Killer 1550i card. However, I forgot to install the drivers for the new card before installing it, and broke the connector on the old one after removing one of the antenna wires. I figured that I could just install the drivers after and continued on with the installation, given that the old card was now broken anyways. I soon found out that not only did the new Wifi card not respond at all, nor showed up in the device manager, but the battery also apparently was not recognized. After doing some research, I found that certain drivers may cause the battery to have this issue, but the keyboard and trackpad (except for the power button) do not work either. The backlighting of the keyboard comes on, but it does not work. Did I totally brick my computer by just trying to install a new Wifi card? Please help.
    Update: After performing a hard reset, the laptop is now BSODing right after logging in. Really at a loss.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Your keyboard ribbon  cable connector (not its backlight or power button connectors) has either come loose or needs to be re-seated on the  mainboard. Also sounds like the battery and connector hasn't been fully inserted. I think you need to re-trace your steps and start  from scratch.Since the new wifi card isn't even being detected, it's possible you got a lemon. I suggest  that you re-install the old card even without the one antenna connected to at least see if it'll boot up OK again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ianram
    Answer ✓
    JackE said:
    It turned out that resetting was the wrong way to go. I just needed to reinstall the old card. The card that I was trying to install was simply not compatible with the computer, which caused many drivers to go out of wack, including the ones for the battery connector, keyboard, and trackpad. After doing a clean install of Windows and reinstalling the old card, the laptop is functioning like normal again, although in trade the backlighting seems to not work for the keyboard anymore for some reason. I will be replacing the old wifi card with one that is compatible soon.