BSOD after upgrading to NVMe M.2 ssd samsung 970 evo plus - V5-591G-57GS

Options
MUKIT
MUKIT Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Can anyone verify if my ssd upgrade is the issue for BSOD? I saw the stop code "WHEA uncorrected error" on blue screen.
Following is the HDinfo

And in the event viewer found the following warning listed frequently

Please let me know if it the ssd issue or anything else

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Best Answer

• MUKIT

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    The following process help to use PCIx4 type ssd. I updated the wifi and bluetooth driver manully from QUALCOMM / ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows (Atheros的驅動程序) (ath-drivers.eu) this website to get read of WHEA error.

How to PCIe NVME x4
    Warning! I take no responsibility if something goes wrong and laptop won't boot.
    If this happens, try pressing hidden button on bottom of the laptop (small hole with battery symbol nearby). You will have to press it and hold with something thin while laptop is connected to the charger and shut down.

Make sure BIOS is updated to version 1.15 (if not go to Acer website & update)

Enter the BIOS
    Shut down laptop by holding the Power Button for few seconds
    While laptop is shut down hold FN and TAB simultaneously
    Press the power button
    Release FN and TAB keys
    Tap F2 to enter BIOS
    Check if "Advanced" and "Power" menu is visible on top. If not retry. 
    Go to Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > DMI/OPI Configuration
    Change DMI Max Speed to "Gen3" 
    Go to Advanced > PCH-IO Configuration > PCI Express Configuration > PCI Express Root Port 9
    Change Topology to "x4"
    Change PCIe Speed to Gen3
    Press F10 to save and reboot

Check speeds in CrystalDiskMark, in my case now uncapped and going 3000MB/s+ (instead od 1600MB/s before), no WHEA Errors, no freezing etc.
    Plus laptop got overall more responsive and faster in some scenarios. 
    Do not change other settings, it can BRICK your laptop! Especially turning off Integrated graphics will 10000% brick it
    btw. overclocking is not working ;)
    Good luck

This guidl
    How to install M.2 SSD in Acer Aspire V5-591 - YouTube

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,560 Trailblazer
    Options
    It might help to know your full ACER model number (for example E5-575G) and what the old HDD or SSD setup was. Does it still boot up OK with the old setup and the evo removed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MUKIT

Tinkerer

edited March 2021
    Options
    Thank you for your early response.:
    Model: V5-591G-57GS
    Previously only 1tb hhd installed and that's running smoothly. I think this is not ssd related issue.  May be something with atheros. But I am not sure whether it is the driver or hardware.

The warning logged the following details:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x0
    Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
    Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A112&SUBSYS_10331025&REV_F1
    Secondary Device Name:

Here the device id "Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A112&SUBSYS_10331025&REV_F1" is the mentioning root port 3.

Seems like something related to the wireless driver to my understanding. Please let me know it you need any more details to find out the solution. I will be so glad and appreciate your help.
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, while some users have reported success in installing an m.2 nvme card in this particular model, its available m.2 card socket was only certified to run at SATA3 or PCIe 1x bus speeds. While nvme cards should be backward compatible with the SATA3 protocol, many users have reported problems in doing so. Accordingly, I suggest that you exchange the nvme card for a plain vanilla sata3 card since you likely won't realize the full speed potential of an nvme card in this mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MUKIT

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Sorry, while some users have reported success in installing an m.2 nvme card in this particular model, its available m.2 card socket was only certified to run at SATA3 or PCIe 1x bus speeds. While nvme cards should be backward compatible with the SATA3 protocol, many users have reported problems in doing so. Accordingly, I suggest that you exchange the nvme card for a plain vanilla sata3 card since you likely won't realize the full speed potential of an nvme card in this mainboard. Jack E/NJ

It seems like nvme working perfectly. I am concentrating on the atheros root port related issue. Did you look into my last msg? Nvme using the root port 9 while atheros using the root port 3. I am facing the warning on root port 3 not 9
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, I noticed that the wifi card was not in its usual factory-installed m.2 socket #9. The free socket for an m.2 SSD card should have been a SATA3 PCIe 1x link width, not a PCIe 4x link width that is usually reserved for the wifi card. So I suggest that you try moving the wifi card to the factory socket #9 to see what happens.  Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• MUKIT

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Yes, I noticed that the wifi card was not in its usual factory-installed m.2 socket #9. The free socket for an m.2 SSD card should have been a SATA3 PCIe 1x link width, not a PCIe 4x link width that is usually reserved for the wifi card. So I suggest that you try moving the wifi card to the factory socket #9 to see what happens.  Jack E/NJ  
    I never change the wifi slot. Please have a look into the image below-

1. for wifi
    2. for SSD 
    Mine also installed in the same way. This is the default factory setup I think. 
  • JackE
    Options
    The m2 card hold down screw is missing? Where is it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MUKIT

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    The m2 card hold down screw is missing? Where is it? Jack E/NJ

Oh sorry. I have that one. I just snapped it from a youtube video to clarify you. I have Evo plus 500gb installed on my laptop with screw and all. I just wanted to show you this is the factory setup and I also use the same m.2 (root port #9) slot for my ssd
  • JackE
    Options
    OK, wifi card seems to be in correct socket #1. But specs suggest that the mainboard socket #2 is only SATA-speed certified, not NVME-speed, despite hwinfo 4x link width report. While the NVME card should be backward compatible with the SATA-speed bus, they often behave unpredictably especially at 512GB or higher capacities. Some users have reported success while others have reported frustration. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MUKIT

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    OK, wifi card seems to be in correct socket #1. But specs suggest that the mainboard socket #2 is only SATA-speed certified, not NVME-speed, despite hwinfo 4x link width report. While the NVME card should be backward compatible with the SATA-speed bus, they often behave unpredictably especially at 512GB or higher capacities. Some users have reported success while others have reported frustration. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Jack E/NJ
    @JackE
    I will try with a sata M.2 then
  • MUKIT

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    The following process help to use PCIx4 type ssd. I updated the wifi and bluetooth driver manully from QUALCOMM / ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows (Atheros的驅動程序) (ath-drivers.eu) this website to get read of WHEA error.

How to PCIe NVME x4
    Warning! I take no responsibility if something goes wrong and laptop won't boot.
    If this happens, try pressing hidden button on bottom of the laptop (small hole with battery symbol nearby). You will have to press it and hold with something thin while laptop is connected to the charger and shut down.

Make sure BIOS is updated to version 1.15 (if not go to Acer website & update)

Enter the BIOS
    Shut down laptop by holding the Power Button for few seconds
    While laptop is shut down hold FN and TAB simultaneously
    Press the power button
    Release FN and TAB keys
    Tap F2 to enter BIOS
    Check if "Advanced" and "Power" menu is visible on top. If not retry. 
    Go to Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > DMI/OPI Configuration
    Change DMI Max Speed to "Gen3" 
    Go to Advanced > PCH-IO Configuration > PCI Express Configuration > PCI Express Root Port 9
    Change Topology to "x4"
    Change PCIe Speed to Gen3
    Press F10 to save and reboot

Check speeds in CrystalDiskMark, in my case now uncapped and going 3000MB/s+ (instead od 1600MB/s before), no WHEA Errors, no freezing etc.
    Plus laptop got overall more responsive and faster in some scenarios. 
    Do not change other settings, it can BRICK your laptop! Especially turning off Integrated graphics will 10000% brick it
    btw. overclocking is not working ;)
    Good luck

This guidl
    How to install M.2 SSD in Acer Aspire V5-591 - YouTube