Predator PH315-53 boot order reset on restart

promethium
promethium Member Posts: 8 New User
Hey good people, I am running the SSD that came with the laptop along with a HDD that I had laying around. Recently my laptop started going into Automatic Startup Repair every time. The only way to fix it is to go to UEFI settings and changing the boot order. But then that resets upon startup. Can any good souls help me troubleshoot this? Turning my laptop on has become a multi step process now and it is frustrating to say the least. 
PS: I am running only one OS installed on the SSD. HDD does not have an OS installed.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    Hey good people, I am running the SSD that came with the laptop along with a HDD that I had laying around. Recently my laptop started going into Automatic Startup Repair every time. The only way to fix it is to go to UEFI settings and changing the boot order. But then that resets upon startup. Can any good souls help me troubleshoot this? Turning my laptop on has become a multi step process now and it is frustrating to say the least. 
    PS: I am running only one OS installed on the SSD. HDD does not have an OS installed.

This could be because your SSD or your HDD might have errors and its not allowing Win-10 to execute the booting process fully which triggers a Win-10 to run a repair on your system. Win-10 can, on its own, fix problems with the OS that are preventing it from running smoothly or from starting but the tool isn’t infallible as it fixes whatever may be causing frequent crashes on your system, or what might be preventing certain features from working as well as trouble with the system starting. The failed repair can give you several different messages;

• bootrec.exe /fixboot access is denied Windows 10
    • log file c /windows/system32/logfiles/srt/srttrail.txt Windows 10
    • Windows 10 automatic repair failed
    • Windows 10 automatic repair your pc did not start correctly

Have a look at this guide of how to “Fix the Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop when Startup Repair Fails” as this will solve your problem.

• promethium
    StevenGen said:

This could be because your SSD or your HDD might have errors and its not allowing Win-10 to execute the booting process fully which triggers a Win-10 to run a repair on your system. Win-10 can, on its own, fix problems with the OS that are preventing it from running smoothly or from starting but the tool isn’t infallible as it fixes whatever may be causing frequent crashes on your system, or what might be preventing certain features from working as well as trouble with the system starting. The failed repair can give you several different messages;

• bootrec.exe /fixboot access is denied Windows 10
    • log file c /windows/system32/logfiles/srt/srttrail.txt Windows 10
    • Windows 10 automatic repair failed
    • Windows 10 automatic repair your pc did not start correctly

Have a look at this guide of how to “Fix the Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop when Startup Repair Fails” as this will solve your problem.

I tried doing this. But the disk defaults to the HDD (with no OS on it) and when I tried to fix the MBR through bootmgr, I get the 

"The system cannot find the file specified" error. 

Could it just be a dead CMOS battery or something that's causing UEFI to reset?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Give this a try, go to BIOS and move to Main tab, press F9 button, then press F10 to Save and Exit.
  • promethium
    Hi,
    Give this a try, go to BIOS and move to Main tab, press F9 button, then press F10 to Save and Exit.
    No luck. Still the same
  • promethium
    Removed the HDD and started up. Ran a chkdsk and then plugged HDD back in. Seems to have solved it for now.