Aspire v15, microphone electronic noise

queenlucija
queenlucija Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi

I have a problem with the microphone on my Aspire V15 with i5 6300HQ. When it is turned on, the person who's hearing me also hears an electronic noise regardless if I am speaking or not. I have managed to connect the source of the noise with the buzzing of the processor, so my thoughts was that it is bad engineering. But when I use headphones with their own microphone the problem still persist. I have tried turning on Listen to this device option in Sound Control Panel, and then I hear the noise constantly and the person on the other side do not.
Has anyone had an exact or similar problem, and was, hopefully, managed to solve it?
Thanks in advance

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Do you hear the buzz on battery alone without the charger plugged in? If yes, do you have any nearby CFL or fluorescent light fixtures? The CPU usually doesn't make a low-pitched buzz sound. Small mainboard chokes and coils usually make a high-pitched whine, again not a buzz.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

I don't speak English very well, so I don't know what word is correct to use. You are right, buzzing is not the right word. Maybe it is coil whine. I have uploaded the sound so that you can hear it: https://vocaroo.com/1h5rJcdrgPlx
    Anyway, the problem persists even when the laptop is unplugged.
    I only have LED light on the ceiling.
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager. If you don't see any red or yellow warnings, click on 'sound, video. etc' folder. Right click and uninstall ALL audio drivers that you find in this folder. Then exit Device Manager without re-installing anything. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn the machine back on and let Windows re-detect the audio hardware and auto reinstall the drivers. Test microphone again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

• JackE
    >>> I have tried turning on Listen to this device option in Sound Control Panel, and then I hear the noise constantly and the person on the other side do not.>>>

Are you sure about this? This isn't consistent with your 2nd comment. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

Yes. The sounds that I have uploaded the other person hears on their speaker together with my voice. When I turned on Listen to this device option then the other person hears only my voice, but then I am hearing that noise on my laptop speakers.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi queenlucija,

Are you using microphone in any of the external headset or microphone which is inbuilt in the unit. 
  • queenlucija

Tinkerer

I think I had figured it out.
    I have thought that there was no difference with a headset or without it, but as it turns out the mic on the headset was not recognized, so it was using the inbuilt mic the whole time.
    And it seems that I have made a mistake before, that is the person whom I have talked with:
    Whether the option Listen to this device is turned on or off makes no difference.
    Normal: https://voca.ro/1FXaXZNvbGCJ
    With 
    Listen to this device turned on: https://voca.ro/11g9885MdKk6
    The location of the microphone is near the touchpad, so recorded can be everything, from using the touchpad to even hearing the fan spins up. The coil-whine can be heard with your own ears with no problem when it is quiet in the room let alone with the mic that is placed near it. So I think that the problem is bad engineering.
    Now the sound won't go through HDMI while I have uninstalled and deleted all the sound drivers. Perhaps that's why now the mic is not recognized and before maybe was? Ah, I don't know anymore! To many possibilities. Why can't I use mic from headset?
  • JackE
    Two types of headsets. A PC type, and a Nokia OMTP cellphone type, in which the ground and mic contacts are switched. Could explain the issue.  What brand & model number is your headset? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

Kingston MSIP-REM-K98-C1. I also have headphones from iPhone 6 which also don't work.
  • JackE
    Right click speaker icon in tray. Click open sound settings. Click sound control panel in right pane. Click recording tab. Choose Kingston headset mic. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

Don't have one there.
  • JackE
    Don't have one what there? A speaker icon? A recording tab? A Kingston headset mic? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

Sorry. A Kingston headset mic
  • JackE
    The Kingston & Apple headsets are virually identical. Do either of them have a mic on/off slider switch? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

Only the Kingston. But it was on
  • JackE
    Sorry. the headset plug mic ring and the laptop jack mic slider don't seem to be making contact with each other. My guess is that you either need to use an OMTP headset or peer inside the laptop jack with a flashlight to make sure the slider is visible and can make contact with the ring. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

I can't see anything out of the ordinary.
  • JackE
    Rather than testing other pc and omtp cellphone style headsets, I recommend that you get an inexpensive headset adapter to see if you can get your current headset to work with the other standard trrs configuration. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-3-5mm-Earphone-Converter-Adapter/dp/B07Q8GLYW3 Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• queenlucija

Tinkerer

I have reinstalled the sound drivers and now when I connect the headset the popup appears in which I can select that the headset is connected and then the microphone on the headset works! But the other problem is that the Dolby Atmos is not installed. What a bummer.