Acer Predator 17, wont boot after battery reset. Please help!

FullPrice123
FullPrice123 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2021 in Predator Laptops

Hey y'all.

My Acer Predator laptop was having trouble with games crashing and general performance and I figured it was about time for a clean slate, so I walked through the standard windows reset process. Unfortunately, it seems like killer wireless can't handle that ~crazy~ activity and the wireless adapter stopped functioning. I could still use ethernet, but all wireless was non-functional. After trying to troubleshoot this for hours, I finally just reached out to killer's tech support who had me do a battery reset to 'reset the CMOS'. Using the reset pinhole on the bottom of the laptop I follow acer's instructions, and now the computer wont boot.

At. All.

No boot logo, no bios, no nothing. The screen is blank, no backlight, the keyboard and even the programmable keys are not lit. The only indication that the computer is 'on' is the power button and the power indicator, as well as the charging indicator if it's plugged in. It's not an issue of battery power, as I tried leaving it to charge for a few hours, and this had no effect. I also tried manually discharging the battery by disconnecting it and reconnecting it, to no avail.

I already wasted 80 dollars getting 0 help from acer 'tech support' because it's out of warranty. Is there anything I can do here?

EDIT: At this point I don't even care about the wireless issue. I just want my computer to work again.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021

Hey y'all.

My Acer Predator laptop was having trouble with games crashing and general performance and I figured it was about time for a clean slate, so I walked through the standard windows reset process. Unfortunately, it seems like killer wireless can't handle that ~crazy~ activity and the wireless adapter stopped functioning. I could still use ethernet, but all wireless was non-functional. After trying to troubleshoot this for hours, I finally just reached out to killer's tech support who had me do a battery reset to 'reset the CMOS'. Using the reset pinhole on the bottom of the laptop I follow acer's instructions, and now the computer wont boot.

At. All.

No boot logo, no bios, no nothing. The screen is blank, no backlight, the keyboard and even the programmable keys are not lit. The only indication that the computer is 'on' is the power button and the power indicator, as well as the charging indicator if it's plugged in. It's not an issue of battery power, as I tried leaving it to charge for a few hours, and this had no effect. I also tried manually discharging the battery by disconnecting it and reconnecting it, to no avail.

I already wasted 80 dollars getting 0 help from acer 'tech support' because it's out of warranty. Is there anything I can do here?

EDIT: At this point I don't even care about the wireless issue. I just want my computer to work again.

Firstly, the battery rest that you have done e.g. “the reset pinhole on the bottom of the laptop” does not reset your CMOS battery, it resets your main battery only. To reset the CMOS you have to undo the back of your Predator 17 laptop and go to the CMOS battery and take it out, also, I would change the CMOS battery to a new battery, its a CR2032 Lithium battery type, be careful and only use a none conductive probe to take the battery out (see caption below) as these batteries are a very common battery and cheap. Also, take out all hard drives, ram memory and your Killer WiFi/BT card and see if their terminals are not corroded and/or are not faulty and if these components are plugged in correctly, also, clean their terminals anyway and your laptop overall and then plug all components back in again?

Now and after you have done all that, take the main battery out and run your Predator 17 on the mains powered charger only and see if your laptop works and reboots? Narrow all possible faulty sources down by a processes of elimination as this problem has nothing to do with the reset of the battery, as resetting the main battery (which is an instructed Acer procedural method) should not have any effect on your BIOS, CMOS battery or affect your laptops booting procedure in any way, there must be other faulty components that are causing your laptop from not booting. Let us know how you go and if the solutions above have helped in any way.

• FullPrice123
    FullPrice123 Member Posts: 4 New User
    StevenGen said:

Hey y'all.

At. All.

Firstly, the battery rest that you have done e.g. “the reset pinhole on the bottom of the laptop” does not reset your CMOS battery, it resets your main battery only. To reset the CMOS you have to undo the back of your Predator 17 laptop and go to the CMOS battery and take it out, also, I would change the CMOS battery to a new battery, its a CR2032 Lithium battery type, be careful and only use a none conductive probe to take the battery out (see caption below) as these batteries are a very common battery and cheap. Also, take out all hard drives, ram memory and your Killer WiFi/BT card and see if their terminals are not corroded and/or are not faulty and if these components are plugged in correctly, also, clean their terminals anyway and your laptop overall and then plug all components back in again?

Now and after you have done all that, take the main battery out and run your Predator 17 on the mains powered charger only and see if your laptop works and reboots? Narrow all possible faulty sources down by a processes of elimination as this problem has nothing to do with the reset of the battery, as resetting the main battery (which is an instructed Acer procedural method) should not have any effect on your BIOS, CMOS battery or affect your laptops booting procedure in any way, there must be other faulty components that are causing your laptop from not booting. Let us know how you go and if the solutions above have helped in any way.

I will try all of this asap, thank you so much for such a detailed response! Is there a specific place to buy a replacement CMOS battery I should look at? Any particular vendors, that is.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi FullPrice123,

It is better to contact acer tech support or schedule your unit for repair.

https://customercare.acer-apac.com/CustomerSelfService/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=IN&LID=ENG