Triton 500 PT515-52-762E - 2nd SSD is RAID only?

dinosm
dinosm Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hi everyone,
Can the second M2 SSD slot in this laptop take an SSD and function independently, or does it only work as a RAID array? I cannot seem to find any information online to answer this question.
Actually, Acer is pretty bad with specs - I cannot even find out what is the maximum SSD capacity the laptop will take.
I want to add a 2nd SSD but not if it can only function as a RAID array. There is a RAID indication in the BIOS that it doesn't allow me to change.

If anyone could confirm what is the case with the 2nd SSD slot, that would be incredibly helpful.

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,070 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    @dinosm Second slot will be recognize as a separate drive. I think it could take up to 2TB SSD but the max capacity might not restricted. For changing RAID mode to AHCI, in the BIOS, go to main, press Ctrl + S will show a SATA mode.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,070 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    @dinosm Second slot will be recognize as a separate drive. I think it could take up to 2TB SSD but the max capacity might not restricted. For changing RAID mode to AHCI, in the BIOS, go to main, press Ctrl + S will show a SATA mode.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • dinosm

Tinkerer

Hi @AnhEZ28, thank you for your reply.
    I tried Ctrl+S in the BIOS, it doesn't do anything. Does it only work if a second SSD is installed?
    Also will it work fine if the second SSD is a different capacity to the existing system SSD?
  • What appears when you click here?

you can send a photo
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dinosm

Tinkerer

Thanks @egydiocoelho, that part is unclickable.

However... I tried Ctrl+S again on the main tab, and now it worked for some reason.
    So there, I have AHCI, Optane without RAID, Optane with RAID.
    If I set AHCI, I get an 'INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE' blue screen.
    I set it to Optane without RAID and I can boot into Windows again.

Can I use a second SSH independently (no RAID) with this setting?
  • Yea! Press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to system startup and activate safeboot. Then restart windows. Then, access the bios and change the sata mode to ahci.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dinosm

Tinkerer

Yea! Press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to system startup and activate safeboot. Then restart windows. Then, access the bios and change the sata mode to ahci.

So do I *need* to set it to AHCI or will a second SSD also work well independently if I leave the setting to 'Optane without RAID'?
    Thanks for the advice by the way, I learn something new every day (well, on some days I learn more than one thing!).
  • dinosm

Tinkerer

Thank you both, between the two of you my question is answered. I have managed to set the laptop to AHCI mode, so new SSD should theoretically work fine.
  • Both ssds will work in both ahci mode and optane mode with raid. I think your laptop has a CTRL + I feature to activate raid mode. In other models, it is necessary to use the intel rapid storage program.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dinosm

Tinkerer

I have now got a 2TB SSD in the 2nd slot, and the original 1TB in the first slot, they both work fine independently, after pressing Ctrl+S in the Main tab in the BIOS and setting it to AHCI.