How to change GPU of external monitor? Helios 300

Options
davellos24
davellos24 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hi, I have a Predator Helios 300 (i7 10750h, rtx 2060). Today I connected a monitor to the laptop, so I can have 2 screens to make everything easier. The thing is, I noticed that the monitor was using the Nvidia GPU, when I wanted it to use the Intel one. So, whenever I do something on the monitor, Nvidia gpu is consuming, and, I havent tried yet, but when I play games + having the 2060 running apps, wont it overconsume? What should I do? Should I change the monitor GPU into the intel one? And how do I even do that? Thanks.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,992 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi, I have a Predator Helios 300 (i7 10750h, rtx 2060). Today I connected a monitor to the laptop, so I can have 2 screens to make everything easier. The thing is, I noticed that the monitor was using the Nvidia GPU, when I wanted it to use the Intel one. So, whenever I do something on the monitor, Nvidia gpu is consuming, and, I havent tried yet, but when I play games + having the 2060 running apps, wont it overconsume? What should I do? Should I change the monitor GPU into the intel one? And how do I even do that? Thanks.

Leave it like it is, the Predator Helios 300 will determine the best options of gpu that you need and your graphics consume for their applications. Once you play intensive graphics and/or games your rtx 2060 will kick in appropriately and swap between the Intel and the rtx 2060 accordingly, that is the purpose of having this integrated gpu options and a dedicated rtx 2060 gpu for laptops to save battery power. But, in your case and with an external monitor, the dedicated rtx 2060 gpu is used as a higher gpu to drive the monitor, you can’t turn off the rtx2060 and have the Intel running, you can only have the rtx2060 run everything in the NVIDIA control panel but that still doesn’t stop the Intel gpu running some applications. Leave it alone and don’t change anything as long as its working correctly.  

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,992 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

Leave it like it is, the Predator Helios 300 will determine the best options of gpu that you need and your graphics consume for their applications. Once you play intensive graphics and/or games your rtx 2060 will kick in appropriately and swap between the Intel and the rtx 2060 accordingly, that is the purpose of having this integrated gpu options and a dedicated rtx 2060 gpu for laptops to save battery power. But, in your case and with an external monitor, the dedicated rtx 2060 gpu is used as a higher gpu to drive the monitor, you can’t turn off the rtx2060 and have the Intel running, you can only have the rtx2060 run everything in the NVIDIA control panel but that still doesn’t stop the Intel gpu running some applications. Leave it alone and don’t change anything as long as its working correctly.  

• davellos24
    davellos24 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:

Ok, thank you so much for your answer!
This discussion has been closed.