PH 717-72 Keyboard Issue

Zroth05
Zroth05 Member Posts: 5 New User
Hello all,
Just bought a PH717-72-93LW a week ago and having a issue with the Keyboard. Namely, the c,d,e,3 keys intermittently work. Now I've tired uninstalling the drivers and restarting and that doesn't work. When I do restart or power up the laptop; after I login there is a immediate input disconnect sound. Idk what is disconnecting since I can't get the device manager open fast enough to see. Also, there are only 5 HID Keyboard Device Drivers installed. I have read some other posts for the Helios 700 say they had 7 drivers. 

I have called technical support and they give me the basic troubleshoot then advise me to call sales to see if they would either send me a new one or send my new laptop in for repairs. 

Has anyone else experienced this? If so what was your course of action?

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Zroth05 said:
    Update: was able to get the device manager opened fast enough and when the system boots, 4 HID Keyboard drivers were active and then the input disconnect sounds and the fifth one shows in the device manager however c,d,e,3,F3 still non responsive.

As your PH717-72-93LW is only a week old and you are having issues with the Keyboard, don’t touch it and/or open it, send it back to Acer under warranty. There must be something wrong with your keyboard keys that the whole keyborad needs to be replace under warranty, which Acer will do. I’ve had these issues and Acer always replaced and fixed it by relacing thekeyboard with a new keyboard and a compete diagnoses of the laptop, so that it performs perfectly.

Answers

• Zroth05
    Also, F3 isn't responding as well. 
  • Zroth05
    Update: was able to get the device manager opened fast enough and when the system boots, 4 HID Keyboard drivers were active and then the input disconnect sounds and the fifth one shows in the device manager however c,d,e,3,F3 still non responsive.
  • StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    Zroth05 said:

As your PH717-72-93LW is only a week old and you are having issues with the Keyboard, don’t touch it and/or open it, send it back to Acer under warranty. There must be something wrong with your keyboard keys that the whole keyborad needs to be replace under warranty, which Acer will do. I’ve had these issues and Acer always replaced and fixed it by relacing thekeyboard with a new keyboard and a compete diagnoses of the laptop, so that it performs perfectly.

• Zroth05
    Thank you for the response. I'll go ahead a file a claim. Just disappointing to receive a product faulty right out of the box especially with how much this thing cost.
  • StevenGen
    Zroth05 said:
    Thank you for the response. I'll go ahead a file a claim. Just disappointing to receive a product faulty right out of the box especially with how much this thing cost.

Things like this happens and its very unfortunate that its happened to you but, its very rare that this happens, when it happened to me it was with older laptops that I bought to upgrade and fix, so that is not a bad record as all keyboards have been ok brand new. One thing you have to remember that laptop keyboards are very fragile due to their construction and are not as sturdy and/or mechanically well-constructed as an external and standalone keyboard as they are prone to problems much more due to their mobility and different environments and need replacing much more often.

• Zroth05
    So call support to get this issue resolved. They told me I had two options: I can send it in for a warranty repair and it will take 15 -25 business days or I can call sales since it wasn't even a week old, they would just exchange for a new one. I call sales and Acer's exchange program ( if you can even call it that) is the worst I've ever seen. So they send you a shipping label to send the faulty product back. When they receive the product, they will refund you your money. Then you can buy a new one again and they will supposedly honor the same price you bought the original one at or you can purchase another one at the time you are generating a return of the faulty one. One question.....why? How is this a good business model?