Heatsink screw can't tighten it - Aspire VN7-793G-77EU

MaMi3694
MaMi3694 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hey everyone

I own a Acer Aspire VN7-793G-77EU laptop. The temps were too high so I decided to open up my laptop. I opened it , cleaned the fans and wanted to look to the cpu and gpu and I ordered some thermal paste. Now the thing is that I can't tighten the first 2 screws. My friend told me that maybe they are soldered and I need to send to repair but I really don't know. Can somebody help me?

Here is a video: https://youtu.be/YchPTr-JzHk
First I loose the screw , then I tighten it.

And some photos.

Thanks in advance

​​​​​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Now I can better see what happened. The pressed in serrated nut has pulled completely out of and away from the mainboard along with screw that's still screwed into the nut. Remove the screw from the nut. Screw may have blue or red locktite polymer on the threads so it may be difficult to separate from the nut. Clamp the nut in a vice or use pliers and remove the screw. Then press the nut back into the mainboard. Use glue or a 2-part epoxy to hold the ouside of the serrated portion of the nut into the mainboard.    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    I think the standoff thread is damaged, try not to overtightening the screws, you need to tighten them to hand tight, anyway, try whether the method in the video give you any ideas, otherwise get it fixed by a technician at a local laptop repair shop.
    How to fix broken heat sink holders of a laptop - The Easy Way - YouTube
  • JackE
    They shouldn't be too tight.  If you stripped or pulled the mainboard peg nut out, it's best to simply wrap the two screws with a small amount of clear food wrap (like SaranWrap) to snug them up in the mainboard holes. The two screws don't have to be too tight, just snug. As long as the  other 3 screws are fairly snug, the thermal module should work just fine with the new paste. Don't try to solder anything or you may risk destroying the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaMi3694
    edited March 2021
    JackE said:
    They shouldn't be too tight.  If you stripped or pulled the mainboard peg nut out, it's best to simply wrap the two screws with a small amount of clear food wrap (like SaranWrap) to snug them up in the mainboard holes. The two screws don't have to be too tight, just snug. As long as the  other 3 screws are fairly snug, the thermal module should work just fine with the new paste. Don't try to solder anything or you may risk destroying the mainboard. Jack E/NJ
    Hi, Thanks for your answer.

The main problem is that they arent even a little bit tight, if you check the video you can that there is a gap between the screw and the motherboard so basically the screw is completely useless. 
    And I don't get your SaranWrap, sorry English is not my first language.
  • JackE
    If they're that loose, then the threaded nuts that were pressed into motherboard have probably dropped off on the other side of the board. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• MaMi3694
    edited March 2021
    JackE said:
    If they're that loose, then the threaded nuts that were pressed into motherboard have probably dropped off on the other side of the board. Jack E/NJ 
    Thanks for your answer.

I don't see anything, on the other side.

I made a new video to show case the gap: https://youtu.be/9SEkEtfeyxM
    And a photo:

Do you think glue will work?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Now I can better see what happened. The pressed in serrated nut has pulled completely out of and away from the mainboard along with screw that's still screwed into the nut. Remove the screw from the nut. Screw may have blue or red locktite polymer on the threads so it may be difficult to separate from the nut. Clamp the nut in a vice or use pliers and remove the screw. Then press the nut back into the mainboard. Use glue or a 2-part epoxy to hold the ouside of the serrated portion of the nut into the mainboard.    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaMi3694
    JackE said:

Hi, that makes sense. Thank you for your help.