Aspire TC-866 Windows Installation Issue

Options
LFine
LFine Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Received an Aspire TC-866-UR11 system, product sticker on the case side says "Operation System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit".  The computer previously had Ubuntu installed onto the ssd drive, now I want to put Windows 10 back on.  I put in a Windows 10 dvd, started the installation, and it is asking for me to enter a Windows product key.  For nearly every other computer I've worked with, the Windows installation program is able to read the product key from wherever it is embedded into the motherboard.

What can I try short of obtaining a new Windows product key to put Windows back on this system?  Thanks

Best Answer

• LFine

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    This ended up being I needed the updated version of Windows installation media, then it recognized the system's license key immediately.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    It could just not be geting auto detected, if you install without a key then from a command prompt
     wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

It may give you it :), id be supprised if it wasnt in the UEFI if there isnt a sticker on it!
  • LFine

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I'm also creating new Windows 10 installation media from Microsoft's official tool, so I have the most up-to-date installation media.  Doesn't help me that I've not worked with UEFI much.  First thing I did connecting this system was to run memory diagnostics, make sure the ram is good, the bootable cd I have didn't work in the Acer but the bootable usb stick does.  For Windows 10, the bootable usb stick I have will not boot but a Windows dvd does.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,950 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    Options
    LFine said:
    Received an Aspire TC-866-UR11 system, product sticker on the case side says "Operation System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit".  The computer previously had Ubuntu installed onto the ssd drive, now I want to put Windows 10 back on.  I put in a Windows 10 dvd, started the installation, and it is asking for me to enter a Windows product key.  For nearly every other computer I've worked with, the Windows installation program is able to read the product key from wherever it is embedded into the motherboard.

What can I try short of obtaining a new Windows product key to put Windows back on this system?  Thanks

First and when you are installing Win-10 "your PC has to be connected to the internet". Have a look at this Microsoft guide on “Activate Windows 10” and follow their various guides and steps for activation, as you should be able to activate your Win-10 with a “Digital License” as long as you have a Microsoft account (if you don't? Then sign up for one) as instructed in their guide and follow that. 

Also this might apply to you, If Windows 10 isn’t activated on your device, see Get help with Windows 10 activation errors for more info. If your digital license is not linked to your Microsoft account, follow the steps under Checking your Activation status, Linking your Microsoft accountAs Methods of activation - is dependant on how you got your copy of Windows 10, you'll need either a digital license or a 25-character product key to activate it. Without one of these, you won't be able to activate your device.

• A digital license (called a digital entitlement in Windows 10, Version 1511) is a method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.
    • A product key is a 25-character code used to activate Windows. What you'll see is PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

After determining which activation method you use, follow the steps in the corresponding Activate using a digital license or Activate using a product key.

• LFine

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    This ended up being I needed the updated version of Windows installation media, then it recognized the system's license key immediately.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, you have to match the install with the key stored in the BIOS, they don't have to be the same version number (so 1909 vs. 20H2 are both OK), but Home vs. Pro need different keys.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.