Windows 10 video driver for Aspire X1400 x64

Options
Eskimo449
Eskimo449 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Has anyone been able to get a video driver for a X1400 desktop that works with Win10 x64?  It is using the default MS generic video driver currently, but no resolution matches my monitor or its aspect ratio, so things look distorted (1366X768).  There is a sticker in front of the machine says it's a nVidia chipset.

Best Answer

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,778 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/82758/en-us
    Try this, it should work for Windows 10 64bit
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Your Aspire X1400 uses the NVIDIA nForce chipset, either the 430 MCP or 730a/720a. Likely the latest drivers are for Windows 7 x64, just use that driver and install in compatibility mode and you should be good.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Eskimo449

Tinkerer

Options
    AnhEZ28: thanks a lot for that link/file.  It did install and seemed to work fairly well.  It recognized my screen's resolution and had a match for it.  But many windows were unviewable at some point when there was animation, ie the scrolling dots when looking for windows updates, and others.  So I made the decision to uninstall it, and I will look for a cheap supported half-height video card that fits in my machine and matches the bus and go with that.  Thanks for providing it.
  • Eskimo449

Tinkerer

Options
    Follow-up question: Can someone recommend a model of video card that would work/fit inside this machine, Win10-supported?  As I mentioned, it's a Aspire X1400 and the sticker says AX1400-E3802 with nVidia GeForce 6150SE graphics.

• billsey
    Options
    Your system is old enough that it doesn't support UEFI booting, so most of the modern cards will not work even if they fit. Look for half height cards that were current around the time Windows 7 sp1 was released...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Eskimo449

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks billsey.  It had not occurred to me that UEFI booting was in any way related to which video cards would work under Win10.  Might be simpler to just pair it with a 4:3 aspect-ratio screen and go with the basic M$ driver.
  • billsey
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Yeah, the newer GPUs use the EFI partition to preload some of their driver code, so without a UEFI boot they never get initialized. No initialization, no display... :(