Problem with ELAN Touchpad on Acer Aspire A315-56

jeffb99
jeffb99 Member Posts: 3 New User
I typically turn off the tap feature for touchpads because I accidentally 'click' when I don't intend to.
I'm seeing a problem with this laptop (Acer Aspire A315-56) where when I have tap to click disabled, the touchpad only intermittently clicks the mouse.  As you can imagine, this is super-annoying.  Sometimes the click goes through, sometimes I need to try again.  This happens even when I hear the 'click' sound from the touchpad device and I feel the device actually clicking.
I'm not sure whether this is a hardware issue or a driver issue.  I have the most recent driver installed for the touchpad. The hardware component is identified as the 'ELAN I2C Filter Driver' and I downloaded the most recent from the Acer support site.  I'm running a very recent version of Windows Pro - 10.0.19042.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions on the appropriate fix or workaround?

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    jeffb99
    Since you have reinstalled drives from acer site I don't think it's drivers issue.  Try these in advance options in touchpad. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • jeffb99
    It doesn't look like I have that touchpad option.  Are you using the same Windows version that I am? (Windows Pro - 10.0.19042).  I only see the touchpad options that Windows presents in the Touchpad settings app.  Is there another Acer application that I should be running to control the settings?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    jeffb99 said:
    It doesn't look like I have that touchpad option.  Are you using the same Windows version that I am? (Windows Pro - 10.0.19042).  I only see the touchpad options that Windows presents in the Touchpad settings app.  Is there another Acer application that I should be running to control the settings?
    Hi,
    Go to BIOS screen and move to Main tab, if you don't see Touchpad, press Ctrl+S buttons together while you are in Main tab, check whether the Touchpad is in I2C or PS2 mode, if it's in PS2 switch to I2C and see whether it helps.

• jeffb99
    I tried looking for this setting in BIOS and didn't see anything related to PS/2 vs I2C Touchpads.  I'm running InsydeH20 Rev 5.0 for BIOS.  This is on an Aspire A315-56.  I think that the system is already running the I2C device due to the driver that is loaded and the info from System Information:

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    jeffb99 said:
    Step 1: Open the Settings app. Navigate to Devices > Touchpad. Step 2: In the Touchpad sensitivity section, select Low sensitivity option from the drop-down box to disable the touchpad while typing. If you don't want to completely disable the touchpad while typing,
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)