Aspire 5 550 camera problem

gregston
gregston Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi, I have a brand new Aspire 5 550. The camera seems to have developed a fault. In Zoom, Meet and FB messenger, after a while coloured stripes appear in the home window and eventually blanks out entirely. Everything looks OK in the device manager.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Does it seem to work OK using this webcam test site?

Jack E/NJ

• AllyB
    AllyB Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have this exact fault. I changed the flicker reduction setting from 50 to 60 which solved the problem during daylight but unfortunately this introduces a wave like wobble in the evening when I turn the (halogen) lights on. I now have the choice of the camera blacking out after a while, going wobbly or of having to go up to a bedroom to use the camera function. Any clues please anyone? It is very frustrating having paid quite a bit for this new machine.
  • JackE
    Did you do the camera test yet? If yes and you're still unhappy with the camera function, then I suggest that you immediately return the machine to the vendor/seller for a refund or exhange on  another laptop. Do this before the seller's returns policy period expires, usually only a few weeks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi gregston,

Is there any error code. Since you checked in the device manager so plz check with power drain, BIOS default. If coloured stripes appear in BIOS let us know that we will check with other T/S steps.
  • gregston
    Thanks very much for your comments, everyone. This is how far I've got.
    First the model is actually 515-55. We bought it direct from Acer.
    JackE: On the webcam test page online, it shows the same fault, which develops after about 3/4 minutes.
    AllyB: I don't know how to 'change the flicker reduction setting from 50 to 60'. How do you do that?
    Easwar: Sorry, I don't know how to '
    check with power drain, BIOS default', but I'm happy to try if you can tell me how.
    Thanks again
  • JackE
    >>>On the webcam test page online, it shows the same fault, which develops after about 3/4 minutes.>>>

OK. Don't waste any more time with this. Immediately try to arrange for a refund or exchange with the Acer STORE customer service, rather than Acer warranty repair service. I'm  not sure how long the store's returns period is for defective merchandise but it's probably not more than a few weeks. After that you'll have to deal with the warranty repair service which will likely take a lot longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi gregston,

# Power drain,
    At bottom of the laptop there will be tiny pin hole with battery symbol close to it. Insert pin or paper clip into that hole press and hold it for 30-40 seconds.

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    2. You will be in setup utility page.
    3. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    4. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    5. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • AllyB
    JackE said:
    Did you do the camera test yet? If yes and you're still unhappy with the camera function, then I suggest that you immediately return the machine to the vendor/seller for a refund or exhange on  another laptop. Do this before the seller's returns policy period expires, usually only a few weeks. Jack E/NJ
    I did the camera test and result was fine. I also discussed this with my local retailer who could find no fault as he didn't have the halogen lights. He said that he couldn't help because the camera was working fine there. Hmmm.... I hope Acer comes up with something soon. 

• AllyB
    gregston said:
    Thanks very much for your comments, everyone. This is how far I've got.
    First the model is actually 515-55. We bought it direct from Acer.
    JackE: On the webcam test page online, it shows the same fault, which develops after about 3/4 minutes.
    AllyB: I don't know how to 'change the flicker reduction setting from 50 to 60'. How do you do that?
    Easwar: Sorry, I don't know how to 'check with power drain, BIOS default', but I'm happy to try if you can tell me how.
    Thanks again
    Hi. Turn your camera on (from the pop up windows start menu), tap the settings wheel and scroll down to the flicker reduction - you have a choice of two settings. 

• gregston
    Thanks again for comments, and sorry for delay in replying bit it's my wife's laptop and she uses it for work all day.
    AllyB: I've tried your suggestion but it makes no difference. The fact that it takes a while before the fault shows each time makes me think it's a hardware fault.
    Easwar: Thanks for explaining that but it's brand new - I really shouldn't have to do stuff like this so soon, so I think I'm going to take JackE's advice. But if you're an Acer technician and you really think this might help in spite of what I've said I'll give it a go in the meantime...?
  • JackE
    >>>The fact that it takes a while before the fault shows each time makes me think it's a hardware fault.>>>

Yep, that's the clue. You could try a full erase-everything ALT+F10 factory reset but I doubt it's going to change things. Don't delay much longer if you can get it back to the seller/vendor for an exchange or  refund before the returns periond expires. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ