E5-575G Hinge RECALL???

BoostVT
BoostVT Member Posts: 1 New User
This is frustrating... have purchased two of these exact laptops. Both have had the same hinge fail. As you know, this eventually renders the laptop a desktop as continued use begins to separate the screen and damage additional components. 

Once I could chalk up to user error or a fluke...twice, same hinge, same model... this is a design flaw for sure.

Does anyone know if theres a recall on this part? Both laptops are out of warranty.

I wish Acer would accept responsibility for an issue with this model (Google is filled with posts about this model's hinges).

I use this to record music and as my primary presentation laptop for the church I am the reverend of. We are not some megachurch with lots of money... we are in a small town, with a tiny budget, and in an already impoverished area of rural Northeast Vermont, a THIRD laptop is not really the top of the needs of the church community... though it's extremely helpful to my work.

Any reply from Acer or a community member with helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a technologically inclined friend look both machines over confirming the issues and warning me of further opening and closing of the lids.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Sorry, no recall that I'm aware of. This is the most stressed part of any laptop but particularly hard on consumer-grade non-ruggedized plastic framed laptops,  I would follow your friend's advice until they can either be replaced or repaired with a 2-part epoxy like JBWeld. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ