Anyone found a solution for the screen blink glitch that happens once an hour or so?CP713-2W-5874

Martin2021
Martin2021 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Chromebooks
It's been reported in Reddit and on the Best Buy Spin 713 Chromebook reviews page. Here is the reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/iv0u7e/acer_spin_713_screen_glitch/

The the screen blink or glitch happens once an hour or so for about one second. It's not a total blackout but the screen will shift slightly and then go back to frame.

It's very annoying and makes me wonder if it could get worse. Lots of owners have noticed it. I've reported it to Acer Support and just wondering if anyone has heard of a BIOS upgrade etc. that would stop it. I am using Chrome version 88 and check for updates daily. 

It's not predictable when the blink/glitch happens so that makes it tough to make a video of the occurrence. This is an almost perfect Chromebook except for that. I'm hoping for a fix soon. I could still take this one back for a full refund but have faith the Acer programming staff will develop a patch/fix. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Is Google aware of the issue? I  think this is the first time it's been reported here, but I may have missed it. Google handles software support and drivers, so I'd expect they are the best ones to report it to. That's pretty much what Acer support will do with the report.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Martin2021

Tinkerer

I would think the Acer team would report it to Google. Other than that I'm not sure if they are aware. It seems to be an Acer isolated problem for the most part. It's happened on other Acer models also. 
  • patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    It might help to give specs since it doesn't happen on all Acer Spin 713 devices. I've been using my Spin 713 since August 15th and haven't seen this problem. My Spin 713 is:

Acer - Chromebook Spin 713 2-in-1 13.5" 2K VertiView 3:2 Touch - Intel i5-10210U - 8GB Memory - 128GB SSD

• Martin2021

Tinkerer

These are the specs of my Acer Spin 713. It was manufactured October 2020.

CP713-2W-5874

Processor

Processor Manufacturer

Intel®

Processor Type

Core™ i5

Processor Generation

10th Gen

Processor Model

i5-10210U

Processor Core

Quad-core (4 Core™)

Processor Speed

1.60 GHz

Maximum Turbo Speed

4.20 GHz

Cache

6 MB

Direct Media Interface

4 GT/s

64-bit Processing

Yes

Hyper-Threading

Yes

vPro Technology

No

Memory

Standard Memory

8 GB

Memory Technology

DDR4 SDRAM

Memory Card Reader

No

Storage

Total Solid State Drive Capacity

128 GB

Solid State Drive Configuration

1 x 128 GB

Optical Drive Type

No

Display & Graphics

Screen Size

13.5"

Display Screen Type

LCD

Display Screen Technology

In-plane Switching (IPS) Technology

Display Screen Technology

CineCrystal

Aspect Ratio

3:2

Screen Resolution

2256 x 1504

Backlight Technology

LED

Touchscreen

Yes

Multi-touch Screen

Yes

HDCP Supported

Yes

Graphics Controller Manufacturer

Intel®

Graphics Controller Model

UHD Graphics

Graphics Memory Accessibility

Shared

Network & Communication

Wireless LAN

Yes

Wireless LAN Standard

IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax

Bluetooth

Yes

Bluetooth Standard

Bluetooth 5.0

• patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    That would be identical to mine and I haven't had the problem. 
  • Martin2021

Tinkerer

So what is your point patrickkelly? Are you saying I'm making this up? It just happened about an hour ago. Read the Best Buy reviews on this model and you will see it reported there also. I am not making this up. It would be good to find a fix for it however, no matter the deflection of the problem by forum members. 
  • billsey
    I think Patrick was just letting you know that the issue doesn't affect all of them.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MeOC
    MeOC Member Posts: 1 New User
    Has anyone found a fix for this or had one provided by Acer? I bought this machine about 3 weeks ago. Took the first one back after 2 weeks because of the screen glitching and exchanged it for a new one. The second one was the same, if not worse. Currently on my 3rd one, but sadly it also ha the same issue. It is a small but annoying issue, which I am struggling to accept on a £700 machine which is brand new.
  • billsey
    It's happening on few enough machines that Google and Intel don't seem to be able to figure it out. Likely something with the display drivers, though since you found it on so many machines in a row it might be something with the GPU itself. Maybe one batch of them had an issue so getting one from a different batch will not exhibit the problem. The ones you are getting are likely all from the same shipment.
  • PeterBelelius
    PeterBelelius Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2021
    I had two displays already on my Acer Chromebook 713 and both went berserk and broke after about 2 months of use (lost all sharpness, blurry hazy parts in the LCD). So either there is something wrong with the power balance from the base to the display or I got a defect device. For all the glitz and positive notes on this Chromebook, I am very disappointed.
  • Martin2021

Tinkerer

I am still having the screen glitch problem on my Acer Spin 13. Bought it in February 2021. I was hoping by now someone would have a fix or an update would fix the problem. It happens about every 15 minutes. The screen blinks and shifts over 1/4 of an inch. It definitely gets your attention. It's sort of like a pre-crash situation but fortunately everything continues to work without a shutdown. Acer if you're reading this please work on a patch.
  • bigredbettafish
    bigredbettafish Member Posts: 1 New User
    It is annoying.  Just got my Spin 713 yesterday.  Will be sending back if I can't find a fix for it.  Otherwise it is a great laptop.
  • Martin2021

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like the new ones are still having the glitch screen movement problem. I got mine in Feb. 2021 and it's still happening. Definitely not gotten better. 
  • AdamHirshan
    AdamHirshan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Have been using (and liking) my Spin for a week and I notice the screen blink once or twice per session.  Mildly annoying but I'm not ready to give up on the machine yet.  Will keep an eye on this thread for any news of a fix.
  • JoeBuffalo72
    JoeBuffalo72 Member Posts: 2 New User

Has anyone ever figured out a fix? It seems like the display cable is kinda pinched the way it comes from the factory, and I have made a few modifications to stop that, but I haven't replaced the cable yet. It is far cheaper to try the cable before the display I suppose, but wondering if anyone has tried either. I bought mine used, so no warranty void issues.

• JoeBuffalo72
    JoeBuffalo72 Member Posts: 2 New User

What ever happened with yours? I am still struggling with intermittent flickering. Sometimes it stops for a month, but always returns!