Options
2»

Answers

• xenon2000
    xenon2000 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello,
    I have the same issue with an Asus XV280K when using displayport and a Zotac 3070. It was not doing that with an older geforce 970 (also on displayport). Tried 2 different displayport cables, no difference. Have you been able to solve it with a different cable?
    I just got a highly reviewed DP 1.4 cable that handles 32Gbps and the issue is still the same. The monitor light stays orange the whole time but still alternates the backlight off and on forever. I would return and get a different GPU, but it took months to get this 3070 without scalped pricing. So I will have to return and try a different 4K60 HDR monitor. 
  • Knosu
    Knosu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    It's not just 3070. I have exactly same issue, with two computers, one happens to also have 3070, but same issue is also present with gtx 1080. Since displayport is somewhat broken in this monitor it makes no sense for nvidia gpus (since it won't support adaptive refresh rate over hdmi). :/ Also have to return it.
  • Jon97
    Jon97 Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Apparently, you are not the only one, I also have the same problem but with Acer Nitro XV240Y P (DP 1.2) and Zotac 3060 ti (DP 1.4a). Got a different cable (DP 1.4) and that still doesn't work. However, previously using GTX 1060 6GB did not encounter this problem until upgrading to 3060 ti. I believed it has something to do with the DP 1.4 on the GPU itself, as it disconnects and reconnects when windows put the monitor into sleep (You can hear the windows device remove sound).

The only way I now is to test it on a different monitor to see if it's still the same issue, if not just manually turn off your monitor when not in use until the GPU supply is back to normal. I've not tried messing with the GPU drivers yet.

You can also try updating your GPU/Mobo bios to see if that helps.. For my Zotac card, I've tried updating but its still the same issue.

I guess for me RMA GPU is the only choice.
  • xenon2000
    xenon2000 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Jon97 said:
    Apparently, you are not the only one, I also have the same problem but with Acer Nitro XV240Y P (DP 1.2) and Zotac 3060 ti (DP 1.4a). Got a different cable (DP 1.4) and that still doesn't work. However, previously using GTX 1060 6GB did not encounter this problem until upgrading to 3060 ti. I believed it has something to do with the DP 1.4 on the GPU itself, as it disconnects and reconnects when windows put the monitor into sleep (You can hear the windows device remove sound).

The only way I now is to test it on a different monitor to see if it's still the same issue, if not just manually turn off your monitor when not in use until the GPU supply is back to normal. I've not tried messing with the GPU drivers yet.

You can also try updating your GPU/Mobo bios to see if that helps.. For my Zotac card, I've tried updating but its still the same issue.

Zotac will RMA my card. But they said it will take 2-3 weeks or longer and they won't start the process until I ship them my card first. So I would be without a computer since my Ryzen 5950X doesn't have integrated video. But after all the things I have seen with this monitor, I am not convinced it's an issue with the 3070 but likely how this monitor handles DP 1.4 GPU ports. So I am looking for a different monitor.
  • Philtronic
    Philtronic Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I just wanted to chime in... I think I have resolved the issue !!

First off, I had the exact same problem. I tried almost everything - different DP-cables, BIOS-settings, BIOS-update, Windows-settings etc. I even turned off the PSU from my PC and the 2nd monitor would still turn on the backlight every 30s or so.

I too have an Acer monitor (Acer Nitro VG240YPbiip to be exact) and until I switched to DisplayPort I had no issue with it.

The monitor has a setting called "AMD Free Sync Premium".
    Since I turned that off on the problematic 2nd monitor, it stays off when it's supposed to.

Just thought I would share this information since it resolved my issues :)

Cheers
  • Philtronic
    Philtronic Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Update:
    Never mind, it did it again last night   :s 
  • Jon97
    Options
    Update:
    hahaha, I also tried turning it off and changing the refresh rate, but it's still the same. My best guess is, it could be the monitor itself as there are many Acer Monitor users experiencing these issues. However, I'm not too sure if it's the GPU because all 3 ports on my 3060ti are causing the same issue as well as if the motherboard fails to boot (Overclock fail boot). I already emailed Acer support Malaysia (Highpoint) on 11/8/2021 and till now 16/8/2021 have not received any reply. Tbh, to me I used to trust Acer but recently their products has allot of quality issues.
  • Jon97
    Options
    xenon2000 said:
    Jon97 said:

Zotac will RMA my card. But they said it will take 2-3 weeks or longer and they won't start the process until I ship them my card first. So I would be without a computer since my Ryzen 5950X doesn't have integrated video. But after all the things I have seen with this monitor, I am not convinced it's an issue with the 3070 but likely how this monitor handles DP 1.4 GPU ports. So I am looking for a different monitor.
    Have you managed to solve it?
  • daniel41550
    daniel41550 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Jon97 said:
    xenon2000 said:
    Jon97 said:

Have you managed to solve it?
    Update:

For you two and anyone else still having this problem, the issue is with the DisplayPort cable. There is no other cause. DisplayPort cables have a power pin that is not supposed to be connected, read more here. Many displayport cable manufacturers ignore this and connect it anyways which causes problems such as this one. It can also fry your GPU. Find a cable on Amazon and check the reviews to make sure it does not have pin 20. BENFEI cables do not have this issue. You could also try to cut pin 20 ( look online for instructions on how to do so) but your mileage may vary doing this, and you might cause the cable to short.
  • Debarshee
    Debarshee Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I am having same issue with VG240YP
    Monitor runs just fine but when in standby, the backlight turns on periodically (while on display port)...anyone got any solution??
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    It looks like Daniel just answered you this morning before you asked the question. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'll ask the moderators to clean that up for you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AhmedHindy96
    AhmedHindy96 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

got the same issue with a VG242Y, RTX 3070 and displayport that comes with the screen. I have yet to try the different display port cable trick.

• Qlllz
    Qlllz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Got the same issuse with a vg 240y, RTX 3060 not sure it is a NVDIA firmware or not.

• richardm1
    richardm1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

2x VG280K here. Same issue. I've tested my DP cables for pin 20 — it's not connected on any of them. Video card is a PowerColor RX580.