VG280K backlight turns on and off forever via DisplayPort when monitor sleeps

xenon2000
xenon2000 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

When my computer is idle and sleeps the monitor, it goes blank and then the backlight turns off as expected. But then 7 secs later the backlight turns on but the monitor stays blank and then 20 seconds later the backlight goes off. And this repeats forever. 7s on, 20s off. 

But when using HDMI, the backlight stays off until the monitor is woken up.

New build. Fresh OS install. 
Monitor VG280K, issue only with DisplayPort (HDR auto, haven't tested with HDR off)
Resolution set to 4K (HDR on)
Windows 10 version 20H2 build 19042.804
Nvidia RTX 3070 with the latest game ready drivers version 461.72 date 2/25/2021

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    xenon2000
    looks like back light bleeding. try removing all cables. including power cable on monitor. press and hold power button for 30sec. now connect power code and display cable. restart the computer and check.

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • xenon2000

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    xenon2000
    looks like back light bleeding. try removing all cables. including power cable on monitor. press and hold power button for 30sec. now connect power code and display cable. restart the computer and check.

No change. Still backlight off for 7 secs and on for 20 secs, repeating when the monitor sleeps. FYI, computer is not sleeping just idle screen timeout. 
  • christy1
    xenon2000 said:
    christy1 said:
    xenon2000

No change. Still backlight off for 7 secs and on for 20 secs, repeating when the monitor sleeps. FYI, computer is not sleeping just idle screen timeout. 
    check the power settings on the computer. is it happening with same monitor to other computer? Fix Hibernate Option Missing in Windows 10 Power Options  Password  Recovery
  • xenon2000

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    xenon2000 said:
    christy1 said:
    xenon2000

check the power settings on the computer. is it happening with same monitor to other computer? Fix Hibernate Option Missing in Windows 10 Power Options  Password  Recovery
    My computer is not going to sleep. So changing those settings do not affect the issue. I will try this monitor on another computer and see.
  • xenon2000

Tinkerer

I have tested on another computer. It only has Intel integrated GPU but with DisplayPort. No HDR support. Runs at 4K60 8-bit and the monitor does not have the same issue. The backlight stays off when the monitor is put to sleep.
    I then thought it might be because of HDR. So I turned off HDR on the monitor and on the problem computer and still have the issue.
    I do not have another Nvidia system right now to test with but I will try the Nvidia forum as well. 
  • christy1
    just curious is there any power fluctuation. may be computer sends signal. try the reset option on monitor.  How can I reset all setting of LCD monitor U28D590  Samsung HK_EN
  • xenon2000

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    just curious is there any power fluctuation. may be computer sends signal. try the reset option on monitor.  I How can I reset all setting of LCD monitor U28D590  Samsung HK_EN
    I have reset the monitor. Even used the same power cord from my new build and the other test computer that doesn't have this issue. I have posted this issue on the Nvidia forum to see if it's the RTX 3070 causing this on the DisplayPort. 
  • christy1
    @billsey
    any suggestions? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    It's a weird one, obviously the monitor is seeing some sort of signal from the computer, which starts the wakeup process, but then when there's no actual video it goes back to sleep. How, specifically, are you sleeping the monitor?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • xenon2000

Tinkerer

I plugged in speakers and noticed that the computer makes a disconnect/connect sound when sleeping the monitor via DP but not via HDMI. Like it thinks the cable is getting disconnected. 
  • christy1
    xenon2000 said:
    I plugged in speakers and noticed that the computer makes a disconnect/connect sound when sleeping the monitor via DP but not via HDMI. Like it thinks the cable is getting disconnected. 
    As I mentioned before may be computer sends signal. Like connecting and disconnecting 
  • xenon2000

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    xenon2000 said:
    As I mentioned before may be computer sends signal. Like connecting and disconnecting 
    Sure. But why only on DP and not HDMI port? The Nvidia forum reply was just to use HDMI instead of DisplayPort. Which is unhelpful. I need the HDMI port for my VR headset and TV. 
  • christy1
    xenon2000 said:
    christy1 said:
    xenon2000 said:
    Sure. But why only on DP and not HDMI port? The Nvidia forum reply was just to use HDMI instead of DisplayPort. Which is unhelpful. I need the HDMI port for my VR headset and TV. 
    Might be a port issue. also try hdmi extender if needed.  H264 HDMI Extender over TCPIP  Home
  • xenon2000

Tinkerer

Now that I have my speaker system setup, I am noticing that the DP ports are randomly disconnecting causing a short blank out and disconnect chime and then comes back. Only via DP. I will try another cable. Maybe it's borderline for the extra bandwidth of 4k60 HDR10.
  • christy1
    xenon2000 said:
    Now that I have my speaker system setup, I am noticing that the DP ports are randomly disconnecting causing a short blank out and disconnect chime and then comes back. Only via DP. I will try another cable. Maybe it's borderline for the extra bandwidth of 4k60 HDR10.

port issue. 
  • xenon2000

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    xenon2000 said:

port issue. 
    All 3 ports. Seems unlikely. Could also still be a cable issue. I also don't have another 4K HDR monitor to test with either which also limits testing.  As there are 2 other things about this monitor that I don't like, I will return it. But I plan to get another DP cable anyways to test before returning so I have multiple cables just in case for my next 4K monitor.
  • christy1
    xenon2000 said:
    christy1 said:
    xenon2000 said:

port issue. 
    All 3 ports. Seems unlikely. Could also still be a cable issue. I also don't have another 4K HDR monitor to test with either which also limits testing.  As there are 2 other things about this monitor that I don't like, I will return it. But I plan to get another DP cable anyways to test before returning so I have multiple cables just in case for my next 4K monitor.

Sure try and check that also. good luck.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    It's not unusual at all to find many of the cheaper cables don't handle the higher performance signals well... Try a good cable.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • APantaloni
    APantaloni Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello,
    I have the same issue with an Asus XV280K when using displayport and a Zotac 3070. It was not doing that with an older geforce 970 (also on displayport). Tried 2 different displayport cables, no difference. Have you been able to solve it with a different cable?
  • christy1
    Hello,
    I have the same issue with an Asus XV280K when using displayport and a Zotac 3070. It was not doing that with an older geforce 970 (also on displayport). Tried 2 different displayport cables, no difference. Have you been able to solve it with a different cable?
    hope you tried above steps.