No boot keys on startup and i can t use any other hdd/ssd cuz the laptop won t see it - ASPIRE 4253

INTELbest
INTELbest Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
 Hello! My ACER ASPIRE 4253 is old and laggy so i bought an ssd for it. When i switched the old hdd with the new ssd , on startup (where the acer loggo appears), there was nothing on the bottom side about what key should i press for boot or bios system(i kept trying everything like f2, f2+fn f11, but nothing worked)and then it appeard on a black screen something like: "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key" and also my windows 10 stick would not be seen by the laptop. Anyone know something?

​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    INTELbest
    It means the ssd which was new is not the unit is not compatible or mounting issues. pls list the exact model number of the unit so we can provide the compatible one.
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • INTELbest
    INTELbest Member Posts: 2 New User
    This is the ssd :Solid-State Drive (SSD) KINGSTON A400, 120GB, SATA3, 2.5", SA400S37/120G
    This is the laptop: 
    https://www.mobilescout.com/tech/news/n82569/acer-aspire-4253-price.html
    But my laptop has an amd cpu with 1ghz and 3gb ram 
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    INTELbest said:
    This is the ssd :Solid-State Drive (SSD) KINGSTON A400, 120GB, SATA3, 2.5", SA400S37/120G
    This is the laptop: https://www.mobilescout.com/tech/news/n82569/acer-aspire-4253-price.html
    But my laptop has an amd cpu with 1ghz and 3gb ram 
    i dont think this can hold a ssd. please provide the 1st 10digit of the sn number of your laptop.
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,445 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    INTELbest said:
     Hello! My ACER ASPIRE 4253 is old and laggy so i bought an ssd for it. When i switched the old hdd with the new ssd , on startup (where the acer loggo appears), there was nothing on the bottom side about what key should i press for boot or bios system(i kept trying everything like f2, f2+fn f11, but nothing worked)and then it appeard on a black screen something like: "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key" and also my windows 10 stick would not be seen by the laptop. Anyone know something?

To get into your Acer Aspire 4253’s bios press the F2 key just after you have pressed the power button and keep pressing the F2 key until the bios appears. If not, then you will have to get into your Acer Aspire 4253 and take its CMOS battery out and leave it for 15 min and reconnect it but, for an old laptop like the Acer Aspire 4253 its best to replace the CMOS battery with a new one, then try to get into the bios again. 

But and before you do that, its best if you can get into the old operating system (if the OP and HDD both work and they don’t crash, as that is very important if both don't have issues and they don't crash, because if they do then a bios update is very dangerous to do and I wouldn’t attempt it) and try to see what bios you have on your Acer Aspire 4253? If its not the last 4253 bios version which is the version 1.12 dated 2011/09/19 and titled “1. Supports PX4 (AMD Power Express 4.0). 2. Updates VBIOS. 3. Supports new panel” then update the bios to the version 1.12 before you do anything. Check your ram stick also, take it out and clean its slots both on the ram and at the motherboard, btw, I would upgrade the ram to this laptops max of 8Gb at DDR3-1333MHz (PC3-10600) into its 2x ram slots. Btw, the recommended Kingston SSD is the Kingston KC600 2.5" SATA 3.0 (6GB/s) SSD maybe that is also your problem?

After all the above, try to get into the bios by pressing F2 key and keep pressing it just after boot starts and before the Acer logo starts until the bios appears. Then go to the bios “Main” mode and see if the “SATA Mode is [AHCI Mode]” and if in the bios “Boot” the “Boot priority order” is #1 KINGSTON A400 that you have installed (see caption below, this pic is for an Aspire 5750 legacy bios) as that is how it should be. try all that as it should work, good luck.