Aspire 3 A315-51-39US does not turn on

DirkS
DirkS Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi!

My laptop does not turn on any more. When I press the power button, it turns on for about 3 sec and then turns off again. This is repeated infinitely. The screen does not show anything but I can see that it is turned on whithin these 3 sec because the black level slightly changes. 

What I tried so far to isolate the cause:

- Removed the internal battery
- Removed CMOS battery cell for about 10minutes
- With and without pressed battery safety switch
- disconnected all cables from the mainboard except the keyboard
- tried another power supply
- measured supply voltage (it is completely stable while laptop tries to turn on)

None of these actions made any difference in the behavior.

I have read that the power button on the keyboard could be an issue, which seems plausible because the behavior could be the same if you press the power button constantly?
I then disconnected the keyboard while laptop tries to turn on, same behavior. But maybe this is not meaningful to clarify whether the keyboard is faulty or not.

Is it worth to buy a new keyboard or do the findings above exclude the keyboard from being the cause of the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• DirkS

Tinkerer

Another thing I did:

Remove the RAM module -> same behavior, but longer cycle time. approx. 6 sec instead of 3sec
    Used another RAM module (DDR4-2666 16G) -> seems as if it is not compatible, same 6 sec behavior
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    With the laptop off, press and hold the F2 key. Then while still holding F2, press the power button. What happens? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DirkS

Tinkerer

Still Same behavior.
  • JackE
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>- Removed the internal battery
    - Removed CMOS battery cell for about 10minutes
    - With and without pressed battery safety switch
    - disconnected all cables from the mainboard except the keyboard
    - tried another power supply
    - measured supply voltage (it is completely stable while laptop tries to turn on)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Do you have an HDD and/or m.2 SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DirkS

Tinkerer

It's a 1TB HDD
  • JackE
    Have you tried disconnecting it from the mainboard socket to see if the laptop will stay on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DirkS

Tinkerer

Yes I did. I just left the display, keyboard and power socket connected to the mainboard. Even tried without display...
  • JackE
    Does your machine boot from the HDD or an m2 SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DirkS

Tinkerer

Sorry maybe I didn't answer clearly. It has no SSD. And it does not stay on, even with detached HDD.
  • DirkS

Tinkerer

@JackE
    Any more ideas to isolate the problem?
  • JackE
    >>>it turns on for about 3 sec and then turns off again. This is repeated infinitely.>>>

What do you mean by 'repeated infinitely'. Does it keep cycling on and off and then back on and off and on and off etc etc automatically all by itself? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi DirkS,

At bottom of the laptop press and hold the battery reset buttom (tiny hole with battery symbol) for 30-40 seconds. 

What happens when you connect charger to the unit? Are you getting any light indication.

Plz post the result  ---> Here
  • DirkS

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>it turns on for about 3 sec and then turns off again. This is repeated infinitely.>>>

What do you mean by 'repeated infinitely'. Does it keep cycling on and off and then back on and off and on and off etc etc automatically all by itself? Jack E/NJ
    Yes exactly
  • DirkS

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi DirkS,

At bottom of the laptop press and hold the battery reset buttom (tiny hole with battery symbol) for 30-40 seconds. 

What happens when you connect charger to the unit? Are you getting any light indication.

Plz post the result  ---> Here
    I dont think that the battery is a problem because it behaves exact the same when it is not connected. Nevertheless, I did the battery reset in the beginning before disassembling the laptop.
    When the charger and battery are connected, the battery charged normally, indicated by the orange LED.

As said above, the laptop power cycles automatically in 3 sec cycles. It is not stoppable, only by disconnecting battery and charger. If I leave the battery connected it would do so until it is empty.
  • JackE
    If the unstoppable cycling still happens with the RAM modules, HDD, touchpad and all external ports unused, then it's a mainboard failure or BIOS chip corruption. You can probably rule out a corrupted BIOS chip by again disconnecting the battery pack and removing the CMOS coin cell. Then short the cell's mainboard + & - terminals for about 60 seconds. Then re-insert the coin cell and see if the cycling stops, again with all the peripherals still disconnected. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• DirkS

Tinkerer

OK, did that but still the same cyclic on and off.

• JackE
    Sorry, a mainboard chip has likely failed if this unstoppable cycling started suddenly for no apparent reason. New replacement mainboards range between $150-200. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DirkS

Tinkerer

Thanks! The support here is worth a lot!
This discussion has been closed.