Extreme Slow - E5 473 500

Ehaque
Ehaque Member Posts: 1 New User
edited 11:21AM in Aspire Laptops
I have an acer E5 473 500 GB HDD 4 GB RAM core i3 laptop. I purchased it in april 2016. Things were okay. But recently it has become extremely and unusually slow. I gave windows 10 set up. Before it, I added 128 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM. But still, no solution.  Can anybody enlighten me?

//​​​Edited the content to add model name on title.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    Ehaque said:
    I have an acer E5 473 500 GB HDD 4 GB RAM core i3 laptop. I purchased it in april 2016. Things were okay. But recently it has become extremely and unusually slow. I gave windows 10 set up. Before it, I added 128 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM. But still, no solution.  Can anybody enlighten me?

Your E5-473’s ram and ssd specs are as follows, Memory: max it can take is 16GB, it has 2x slots (2 banks of 1) for DDR3L-1600 SODIMM. The Storage: drive Interface is version: SATA 3 - 6GB/s and with Chipset: Intel Series 9.

What type of new 1x 4GB did you add? Is it the same as your OEM ram specs and what total capacity ram have you got now? Because, if you installed the new 1x 4GB of slower ram then your ram is running at the slower speed. You should always add the same speed/timing ram as your existing ram, get CPUZ and look in the SPD section to see what your existing ram specs are and match that exactly. Btw, the best and the most efficient thing to do with memory for your Aspire E5 473 would be to increase the ram to its max 16GB and get a Kit of 2 x 8GB-DDR3L-1600 SODIMM as that will be the ultimate to run Win-10 for your laptop.

Your problem is that your 500GB spinner HDD is probably full of data and full of errors from previous OS, that slows your drive down. Also, what is on the 128 GB SSD has it got the boot drive and data? As 128GB drives are pretty low in capacity and should only be used as a standalone boot operating drive and no personal or software data should be added e.g. for your Win-10 operating system only, as 128GB capacity will get filled with data pretty quickly and it will be useless and unusable. If you use the 128GN SSD for Win-10 boot drive only, you can use your old 500GB drive for more space and as a slave drive to put software and data, which btw is not a real ideal solution! You can add your old 500GB spinner drive by using a caddy into the DVD slot of the laptop and use it as a slave drive. That is what I’ve done with a V3-571G and to allot of these older laptops toincrease capacity and not to waste the oldspinner drive

Btw and as a suggestion, If this was my laptop, I would get a bigger 2.5” SSD SATA-3 6GB/sec drive like with a min capacity of 500GB and use the old 500GB spinner drive as a slave and use the 128GB as an external backup drive (as that is what its only use is) then I would reinstall and do a “Clean Install” of Win-10 on the new SSD. I’ve done this on my old laptops a few years ago, where I put a Samsung 850 EVO which is an excellent and quick SSD drive with its Samsung Magician tuning software and enabling “Rapid Mode” and also enabling the windows TRIM command, which makes the SSD really function perfectly and to its full speed of read/write specs. Btw and also, I’ve never ever had any problems for over 3 plus years with this SSD drive. Good luck hope this helps

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Ehaque,

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • Miguelsistemas
    Miguelsistemas Member Posts: 1 New User

i have a acer e5 473 "2015" SSD and HDD intel core i5 with advanced vector extensions 2 "Windows 11 Pro 23H2"

This discussion has been closed.