Installing Mint 18 on Aspire 3 with Intel RST

JeffFF
JeffFF Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, I am trying to install a flavor of Ubuntu on my new Aspire. But it has RST and I am having trouble. I am not planning on dual boot, but if that's the way to do it I can install windows first.

Many solutions said to use ctrl-s on the main tab in bios to access additional options, and then to turn "SATA Mode" to AHCI.

However, I only have two options, 'Optane with RAID' and 'Optane without RAID'. And it doesn't work either way.

I've turned off fast boot and tried with secure boot on and off, but I am not getting anywhere.

Anyone got a fix for this? I now have an expensive paperweight.

Best Answer

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    as a long shot, could you set an admin/supervisor password in the bios, save and exit, then go back into the bios and see if you have more options (it works for unlocking the f12 boot option, so worth a try for other options for sata too)
  • JeffFF
    JeffFF Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Thanks for the feedback @Gawain

I made an admin pass and user pass just to be sure. I did notice the f12 boot option. I will go through it again tomorrow to check for any passwords opening options.

However I also found out that the Ubuntu install software is not recognizing the ssd hard disc. So I am thinking this must be fixed.

Not sure if I have one problem or two tbh but I'm sure I need to be able to see that hd from the boot usb

I will work on this and update, thanks again!
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    you might find this a useful read for a bit of background:   https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-installation-on-computers-with-intel-r-rst-enabled/15347
This discussion has been closed.