Update Drivers and add 3 monitors Aspire V5-571

PCjimK
PCjimK Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I am looking for some help.  I am using an Aspire V5-571 notebook. I tried to update the drivers but the drop-down on the support page does not provide a choice for Windows 10 OS for this PC.  I upgraded this from 8.1 a couple of years ago.  So how can I get past that first off?
The reason I want to upgrade the drivers (per the Microsoft website) is that I want to have 3 monitors attached to my PC display.  I have a VGA splitter and I connected two external monitors along with my internal notebook screen.  When I go to Windows 10 configuration I can see all 3 monitors but the details tell me that monitor #3 is not active.  The system just duplicates the 2 external monitors (which is pretty useless).  Everything I find says that WIndows 10 should easily support 3 monitors.  Does anyone know if I need a different video card to get 3 monitors to work? Will this model notebook support 3?  As I mentioned, I see three monitors when I go to display settings but it says monitor #3 is inactive.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    PCjimK
    Check with the below link with snid and find option. try clean installation. 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/es/CL/content/drivers
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    You don't need a different video card to support three monitors, but you can't use a VGA splitter to do it. The VGA port only has one signal, so can only drive one monitor. The issue is that the laptop has a single HDMI port and a single VGA port, which only gives you two monitors. To add the third you connect a USB display adapter (usually a USB hub with extra ports) and connect the third monitor to that. You have one USB 3.0 port (it's the blue one) and that's what I would use. Get something like this (just the first one that showed up in the search, not a recommendation) and the HDMI port gives you your third monitor.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PCjimK
    PCjimK Member Posts: 2 New User
    ok, I will try it and report back on the results. thank you for the response.
  • Carln
    Carln Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 2021
    @billsey, @PCjimK
    Thanks billsey, i liked your answer as I have a similar question.  I am wanting to confirm if the USB 3 port on this laptop DOES support video out. 
    I'm considering a docking station like Kensington USB-C and USB 3.0 Dual Docking Station SD4750P so that can run dual monitors and interchange my acer laptop with work laptop and macbook (in future).  So, PCjimK, did the USB3 port work to provide video out? 
  • billsey
    You can do video out on even a USB 2.0 port, just slower and lower resolution than with faster ports. You do have to have a dock that does the video, it's not embedded in the stream unless USB 3.1 gen 2 and with the option enabled. The Kensington is a bit of overkill since part of what you are paying for is power delivery over USB-C and the V5-571 doesn't support charging the laptop via a USB port. Other than that it looks like a nice unit.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Carln

Tinkerer

hey @billsey , so am struggling to get video out via usb (on both v3 or v2 ports). I got my 2nd monitor, but not the Kensington dock, am trying with adapters I currently have.  Do I need to enable video out via usb somehow (or this old laptop does not support it)?
    I tried a "usb-a to usb-c" adapter to connect the laptop usb ports to usb-c cable that feeds the new monitor - no signal.
    I tried my usb-c dock (similar to the one you linked above) that has usb-c and hdmi out - i tried both usb-c out and hdmi out and could not get a signal (it works fine as a usb hub to power my keyboard). I know the dock works fine as I use it from macbook to tv via hdmi.

searched the forum, this seems to be the only thread on multiple monitors for this laptop.

• billsey
    USB-C and Thunderbolt can support video over USB a different way than earlier versions of USB. You just need a dock that doesn't rely on them. Unfortunately, video of USB-C is cheaper to implement than what's done with a dock, so the adapters are also cheaper. Get a dock that uses USB 3.0 and has enough video ports. Your dock doesn't have the video in the dock, it relies on the video over USB-C to work.
  • jasonsmith
    jasonsmith Member Posts: 2 New User
    Download the latest drivers for your Acer Aspire V5-571 to keep your Computer up-to-date. 
  • jasonsmith
    jasonsmith Member Posts: 2 New User
    Download the latest drivers for your Acer Aspire V5-571 to keep your Computer up-to-date. 
  • Carln

Tinkerer

Just a follow up post to let you all know I got it working.  I purchased a generic USB->to->HDMI adapter (didn't want to spend on a laptop dock).  It uses a generic "windows usb xxx display driver" which u can find online. 

To get it working you I had to disable the Nvidea GeForce adapter from (Device Manger -> Display adapters).  Googling will tell you this is a common problem with laptops with multiple graphics devices with this usb-hdmi.

Everything working perfectly!   
  • Alix_1965
    Alix_1965 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hello, Carlin! Thank You for this info!

Could You say which USB->HDMI adapter You used for this?

So You connected to Acer Aspire V5-571 1th external monitor with HDMI and 2th with tis USB-HDMI adapter by USB 3.0 slot of laptop, and so You have got extented for 3 monitors (laptop + 2 external) windows desktop, right?