New predator making weird vibrations? PH 315 -51 6-7

Nizerio
Nizerio Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited February 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hello guys,

I firstly wanted to mention that I don't have much experience with the community but as far as I checked the FAQ nothing was related to this.

I bought my Helios 300 PH 315 -51 6-7 months ago and its my first Acer product. I noticed something very recently, I cleaned my fans and repasted my GPU CPU was extra careful and didn't go overboard with the pasting, had no issues just a bit of a hassle to get the Wi-Fi card back in place, I booted it up and everything was fine. How ever when playing a game and turning the fans to max, I noticed something, my laptop seems to be slightly vibrating in a slow heart beat manner, it comes and goes repeatedly back to back kind of like its breathing, similar to the breathing light pattern in the Predator Sense.

There seems to be a slight tingly vibration feeling, I of course googled this and I read that its from electricity and people advised to connect the charger directly to the wall rather than to an extender, how ever doing this doesn't seem to change the problem. I am not sure if because I cleaned the fans they became cleaner and hence more vibrational? I wanted to know if there is something else I can do? and is this harmful to the life of the computer of battery, I had this issues for a couple of days (I don't game all the time) so I don't think I have done much damage, can you please let me know and put my mind at rest? This laptop is twice the price of its worth where I bought it so the technicalities for support will be hell.

Things to note
-Fans sound normal when I listen in closely though they do have a distinct noise they make at full speed but nothing weird sounding
-There are no reboots, fails or graphics card crashes apart from 1 time which I think might have been overheating or just a game error
-I have disconnected the battery and reconnected it to see if anything changes
-I have also reopened my laptop to check if anything is loose out of place
-I am also just not sure if a I put maybe less thermal paste than necessary as the laptop had more thermal paste than I put, what I did was draw a long line across each component (GPU, CPU etc)  and then spread it around in an equal and careful manner making sure it doesn't leak over.

Thanks!

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

I firstly wanted to mention that I don't have much experience with the community but as far as I checked the FAQ nothing was related to this.

I bought my Helios 300 PH 315 -51 6-7 months ago and its my first Acer product. I noticed something very recently, I cleaned my fans and repasted my GPU CPU was extra careful and didn't go overboard with the pasting, had no issues just a bit of a hassle to get the Wi-Fi card back in place, I booted it up and everything was fine. How ever when playing a game and turning the fans to max, I noticed something, my laptop seems to be slightly vibrating in a slow heart beat manner, it comes and goes repeatedly back to back kind of like its breathing, similar to the breathing light pattern in the Predator Sense.

There seems to be a slight tingly vibration feeling, I of course googled this and I read that its from electricity and people advised to connect the charger directly to the wall rather than to an extender, how ever doing this doesn't seem to change the problem. I am not sure if because I cleaned the fans they became cleaner and hence more vibrational? I wanted to know if there is something else I can do? and is this harmful to the life of the computer of battery, I had this issues for a couple of days (I don't game all the time) so I don't think I have done much damage, can you please let me know and put my mind at rest? This laptop is twice the price of its worth where I bought it so the technicalities for support will be hell.

Things to note
    -Fans sound normal when I listen in closely though they do have a distinct noise they make at full speed but nothing weird sounding
    -There are no reboots, fails or graphics card crashes apart from 1 time which I think might have been overheating or just a game error
    -I am also just not sure if a I put maybe less thermal paste than necessary as the laptop had more thermal paste than I put, what I did was draw a long line across each component (GPU, CPU etc)  and then spread it around in an equal and careful manner making sure it doesn't leak over.

Thanks!

hello,
    since its just few months old, contact acer support as its under warranty. because if its vibrating it can cause other issues later on during the laptop span. better to find a solution at the start. 

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Nizerio

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,
    since its just few months old, contact acer support as its under warranty. because if its vibrating it can cause other issues later on during the laptop span. better to find a solution at the start. 

Yeah but I don't think this is such a pressing matter of an issue, on the other hand I have contacted them and they take for ever due to covid, I assumed there would be a more helpful answer from the community.
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited February 2021
    Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

Yeah but I don't think this is such a pressing matter of an issue, on the other hand I have contacted them and they take for ever due to covid, I assumed there would be a more helpful answer from the community.
    Ofcourse let's wait for legends to pitch in. make sure that your HDD has rubber dampers to absorb some vibration. And so it doesn't move at all. Check the vent as well.
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

How about the temperatures after the repasting? You could use HWmonitor to check the temperatures, also try removing the HDD and see whether the vibration stops.
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
  • Nizerio

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

Ofcourse let's wait for legends to pitch in. make sure that your HDD has rubber dampers to absorb some vibration. And so it doesn't move at all. Check the vent as well.
    Well the HDD is doing fine with its rubber, I also opened the laptop a bit ago and ran the fans there isn't any weird sound like here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvfHihpS1-Y sounds quite fine actually, I also further checked the vents and wiggled the fan a bit to see if its out of place and opened the screws and re screwed incase it was done too tight. I just wonder is this normal? maybe other who have Helios 300s could confirm?
  • Nizerio

Tinkerer

Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

How about the temperatures after the repasting? You could use HWmonitor to check the temperatures, also try removing the HDD and see whether the vibration stops.
    Regarding temperatures, I actually expected them to drop significantly, but all I experienced is low GPU heat as per usual and high CPU heat when playing 80-91 degrees, but I want to add that this has been the case since I bought the laptop and read around that everyone has this issue. The only fix I found was putting battery at 99% and setting it to better performance, for some reason then it runs at 60-70 degrees. But that also changes with games I noticed.
  • Nizerio

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

Btw when I said vibration, I don't mean like phone on the table type vibrating, rather very subtle.
  • Nizerio said:
    Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

Regarding temperatures, I actually expected them to drop significantly, but all I experienced is low GPU heat as per usual and high CPU heat when playing 80-91 degrees, but I want to add that this has been the case since I bought the laptop and read around that everyone has this issue. The only fix I found was putting battery at 99% and setting it to better performance, for some reason then it runs at 60-70 degrees. But that also changes with games I noticed.
    Try repasting again without the spread method, use dot method and let the heatsink spread the paste.
  • Nizerio

Tinkerer

Nizerio said:
    Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

Try repasting again without the spread method, use dot method and let the heatsink spread the paste.
    How would you explain the fact that out of the box the first game I played the temps were at 90 for the cpu? and now even when I repasted the GPU runs very low at max 70 for Ultra graphics, I doubt this is related to the noise though I think its a separate issue. 
  • Nizerio said:
    Nizerio said:
    Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

How would you explain the fact that out of the box the first game I played the temps were at 90 for the cpu? and now even when I repasted the GPU runs very low at max 70 for Ultra graphics, I doubt this is related to the noise though I think its a separate issue. 
    Yes, another member also had the same problem with the temperatures in this model, but it was nothing to do with the vibration, so you may have to send it for a service repair under warranty.
    Newly Acquired Predator PH315-51 High Temperatures While Gaming — Acer Community
  • Nizerio

Tinkerer

Nizerio said:
    Nizerio said:
    Nizerio said:
    christy1 said:
    Nizerio said:
    Hello guys,

Things to note

Thanks!

hello,

Yes, another member also had the same problem with the temperatures in this model, but it was nothing to do with the vibration, so you may have to send it for a service repair under warranty.
    Newly Acquired Predator PH315-51 High Temperatures While Gaming — Acer Community
    I may have figured out that the vibration I feel which is really like a ''voom'' *pause* "voom" and on it goes, it isn't an exact vibration I just lack the term, how ever I think it is due to the CPU reaching 90 degrees as before that it doesn't happen, I also opened the laptop and made the screws of the fan a bit looser which seems to have helped, but like I said playing games like BF1 at 90 degrees I can feel what seems like a heart beat. I also undervolted my laptop through Throttle stop but it doesn't seem to be helping. I also emailed Acer and as I reside in Turkey atm but did not buy here they said it doesn't fall under warranty. I do not think there is a issue per say as a faulty component, but rather the sudden rise to 90-92 degrees of the CPU is what causes the slow heartbeat type 'vibration'