I have new11th intel, could be pci4.0 why ssd samsung 980 pro does not go over pci 3.0 speed A514-54

Options
scartozzicus
scartozzicus Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi everyone, I'd like to ask you a question and see if anyone can answer me.
I just bought a New Acer Aspire 5 with 11th intel i5, and the 11th processor could has a pci 4.0 interface, so i bought a ssd pci 4.0 samsung 980 pro 1Tb. My pc is aspire A514-54-50TB with i5-1135G7, but when i try to instal the samsung nvme driver 3.3 windows tell me that it can't see any nvme unit!
The last version of Samsung Magician see the 980 pro, but say the intel driver is not good, infact i can't do anything on Magician.
Actually my sistem has a read ad writing speed is about 3500 mb/s for each, i think the max speed for a pci 3.0 interface.
My question is: the problem is hardware and my pc that does not have a 4.0 interface or the problem is software and I don't have the right configuration or the right driver?

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,355 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, your CPU might support PCIe Gen4 but I would like to see the motherboard details, could you please move to Mainboard tab in CPU-z and post the picture.
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @scartozzicus
    Yes, the motherboard supports PCIe Gen3 and it works at full speed( PCIe 4lanes enabled), I also don't have Samsung driver installed because the stock Microsoft Storage controller driver works perfectly.

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Ahh ok it looks like the laptop has VMD, in your uefi there may be an option to turn that off under one of the menus.

If its not there, then you can press cntrl + s on the main tab as the first thing you do and it will appear in another tab. What the VMD controller does is allow the CPU direct control over the SSD allowing it to speed up access.

It shouldnt stop detecting it if you turn it off, but it may slow it down. I guess you would get a few extra Samsung features if you turned it off, but not sure that would be worth the trade off!

Answers

• Leostat
    Options
    If you Dl and run HW info you should be able to tell if its a PCI lane bottelneck, in the summary page it will tell you the width of the PCI lane if its 4x it is probs gen 3, if its 2x it may be gen 4,

After this, head into the main window, you can click into drives -> the samsung -> click host controller which will take you to the PCI lane its connected to. This will tell you the version of the port
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, your CPU might support PCIe Gen4 but I would like to see the motherboard details, could you please move to Mainboard tab in CPU-z and post the picture.
  • scartozzicus

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    If you Dl and run HW info you should be able to tell if its a PCI lane bottelneck, in the summary page it will tell you the width of the PCI lane if its 4x it is probs gen 3, if its 2x it may be gen 4,

After this, head into the main window, you can click into drives -> the samsung -> click host controller which will take you to the PCI lane its connected to. This will tell you the version of the port
    Hi,
    Thanks for your answers! So the conclusion is my CPU support PCie gen 4 but my motherboard is limited at PCle 3.0 interface? So my actual BUS speed is PCle 3.0, is it correct?

UPPER is Motherboard, down is Drives whith my ssd samsung 980 pro 

and than down i open my "host control" : intel tiger lake VMD

• scartozzicus

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    Options

what can i do to solve my drivers problem with magician ? I have already tried to uninstall the driver from the devices section, but nothing happen !!!!!!

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @scartozzicus
    Yes, the motherboard supports PCIe Gen3 and it works at full speed( PCIe 4lanes enabled), I also don't have Samsung driver installed because the stock Microsoft Storage controller driver works perfectly.

• Leostat
    Options
    Ahh ok it looks like the laptop has VMD, in your uefi there may be an option to turn that off under one of the menus.

If its not there, then you can press cntrl + s on the main tab as the first thing you do and it will appear in another tab. What the VMD controller does is allow the CPU direct control over the SSD allowing it to speed up access.

It shouldnt stop detecting it if you turn it off, but it may slow it down. I guess you would get a few extra Samsung features if you turned it off, but not sure that would be worth the trade off!
  • scartozzicus

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @scartozzicus

thanks a lots! 
  • scartozzicus

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:

thanks! i think you are right, when i have time i try with samsung ones, to see if i have any advantages
  • TonyWenz
    TonyWenz Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I have had a1TB  Samsung 980 Pro since October 2020. (See my thread on AN515-54 Samsung 980 SSD error.) I have been on chat with Samsung support since that time, and they still have not come up any workable solution to getting the Samsung Magician not to report an error. I have made and lodged over a dozen requests for help. It has been "escalated, prioritised, followed-up", with no solution. In fact, it is only a few weeks back I received my first email back from the Samsung Support team to ask for more details. They got me to delete my Intel driver, and then my whole system crashed.
    Like you, my SSD works, and has reasonable speeds. But there is an error reported on Samsung Magician 6.2.1 saying the driver is wrong.
    I can no longer find the Samsung NVMe driver (3v3) - which by the way - never said it could support the 980 series. I guess Samsung has removed it.
    Now they are suggesting I send it back to them to inspect. They have no replacement stock, so I assume I would be without a working replacement SSD for some months, (if the previous few months are anything to go on).

Bottom line: Do not use Samsung 980 series with Acer laptops. There is some deeply hidden bug. Samsung has no driver for the 980 series. They have very limited support. They have no working replacement stock.

Good Luck! Let me know how you go...

• scartozzicus

Tinkerer

Options
    TonyWenz said:
    I have had a1TB  Samsung 980 Pro since October 2020. (See my thread on AN515-54 Samsung 980 SSD error.) I have been on chat with Samsung support since that time, and they still have not come up any workable solution to getting the Samsung Magician not to report an error. I have made and lodged over a dozen requests for help. It has been "escalated, prioritised, followed-up", with no solution. In fact, it is only a few weeks back I received my first email back from the Samsung Support team to ask for more details. They got me to delete my Intel driver, and then my whole system crashed.
    Like you, my SSD works, and has reasonable speeds. But there is an error reported on Samsung Magician 6.2.1 saying the driver is wrong.
    I can no longer find the Samsung NVMe driver (3v3) - which by the way - never said it could support the 980 series. I guess Samsung has removed it.
    Now they are suggesting I send it back to them to inspect. They have no replacement stock, so I assume I would be without a working replacement SSD for some months, (if the previous few months are anything to go on).

Bottom line: Do not use Samsung 980 series with Acer laptops. There is some deeply hidden bug. Samsung has no driver for the 980 series. They have very limited support. They have no working replacement stock.

Good Luck! Let me know how you go...

wow! Yesterday i done the same thing with my drivers. I didn't write to  samsung but I tried to change the hard drive driver (in original Intel RST ) with other, first with samsung nvme but the installer .exe 3.2 and the last 3.3 version do not work on my pc (it tell no samsung nvme disc detected on pc) so the installation can't continue and it will be stop, and i can't install the samsung nvme drivers.
    So, i decided to try with generic Windows hard drive drivers, but has soon as i change it, after the first reboot the sistem cant see the hard disk !!! be careful with this because after this point you can't do anthing for save you computer, you can't even use the windows recovery tool because it is saved in the hard disk, and after the driver change your notebook no longer reads it. 
    To solve this i put in the my pc the original ssd, and than i put on a esternal nvme m.2 support the samsung 980 pro, afther the start with original ssd i change on the bios the order boot,  i chose the external unit with samsug 980 and i and magically my pc started from the 980 pro on my USB (because it started from an external usb reader and no longer from the hard disk and then using other drivers)
    then, after start windows from 980 Pro I put the original intel's hard disk drivers back. 
    Finally I removed the original ssd and reassembled the 980 pro pc, and everything is back as before.
    If I didn't do this I had to format everything

p.s. if you need samsung nvme driver installar 3.3 i have the .exe version multilanguage
  • scartozzicus

Tinkerer

Options
    I currently have given up and I hope that an update of Magician or samsung drivers will arrive (also because they have marketed a very expensive ssd without a driver, and this thing is shameful for samsung).

Let's do one thing, let's all keep up to date in this discussion, and who has news on the story add it here, I'm sure that in the whole world it has not happened only to the two of us!