Aspire XC-895. Laggy mouse and keyboard

Options
OldAndy
OldAndy Member Posts: 4 New User
Brand new a couple of weeks ago. i5-10th generation processor, 8Gb Ram, 1TB SDD.
The mouse and keyboard are both 'laggy'; keystrokes are missed altogether, or appear after several seconds. The mouse 'sticks' and failed to respond for several seconds. The mouse has the Bluetooth dongle which, as long as it is plugged into a usb port, allows the keyboard to work even if the mouse is switched off.

I am typing this with the mouse switched off and the keyboard is behaving impeccably! Turn the mou o annd aallof garbagge apppees (turn the mouse on and all sorts of garbage appears)

So, it appears Acer's keyboard/mouse combo can't reliably share the same Bluetooth connection. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing; doesn't help. I've tried different accessibility settings; doesn't help. I've tried plugging the dongle into different usb ports; doesn't help.

Can anyone help?

Best Answer

• OldAndy
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Well, you live and learn. My Acer mouse/keyboard combo isn't Bluetooth as I thought, it's 2.4G WiFi. There must be some interference with the on-board WiFi, power supply harmonics or something. To SOLVE the problem I have plugged in a 1m USB extension lead and located the WiFi dongle well away from the PC.
    I suspect that is the solution to a lot of the "Laggy mouse & keyboard" cries for help that appear on every computer forum.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    @OldAndy
    Is it a wireless keyboard and mouse you are using ?? If yes than try to change the batteries of them and check once
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • OldAndy
    Options
    Yes it's wireless and yes I've tried new batteries. No difference.
  • OldAndy
    Options
    The 'fix' I have at the moment is a separate Bluetooth mouse with its own dongle, with the keyboard working fine via the Aspire dongle with the Aspire mouse turned off.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try moving the dongle around to different USB ports. That often helps when you are getting radio interference.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @OldAndy
    Try use the front panel USB port, see if that will help. Sometimes this will solve poor reception problem, but giving up the precious front panel port.
    If problem persist, I'll change for a set of wired mouse/keyboard.
  • OldAndy
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Well, you live and learn. My Acer mouse/keyboard combo isn't Bluetooth as I thought, it's 2.4G WiFi. There must be some interference with the on-board WiFi, power supply harmonics or something. To SOLVE the problem I have plugged in a 1m USB extension lead and located the WiFi dongle well away from the PC.
    I suspect that is the solution to a lot of the "Laggy mouse & keyboard" cries for help that appear on every computer forum.
This discussion has been closed.