Acer A315-41 wifi upgrade

Theduder
Theduder Member Posts: 4 New User
I have an Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R132. The wifi card (qca9377)that came with this laptop has been less than reliable and thus I have decided to upgrade. I purchased an Ax200 card. After install the card showed up as it should and both wifi and bluetooth work all drivers are up to date. However I cannot establish any faster link than 287mbps to my ax router, also worth noting the card doesn't detect wifi on some channels. I have another computer with the same card ax200 that connects at the full 1200mbps that the router allows. Is there some limitation within the bios or the mobo that is not allowing a full link? I know the original card was a 1x1 and the new is 2x2 however there are 2 antenna and the slot is the right type. Any help is appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Have you tried setting Device Manager's preferred band to 5GHz instead of none? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Theduder
    Thanks for your response. Yes I am operating in 5ghz and tried both auto and selecting 5ghz in preferred band. No difference.
  • JackE
    >>> I have another computer with the same card ax200 that connects at the full 1200mbps that the router allows>>>

Maybe you got a lemon card---or a lemon laptop---or both. Try switching cards to find out which. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Theduder
    Switched cards with the same result. I must conclude it is the motherboard. Upon close inspection there does not appear to be traces going to part of the m.2 socket and so it has limited functionality. Happy to hear from anyone with anything definitive confirming or otherwise.
  • JackE
    AX200 may not be fully compatible. This alternative part no is supposed to be compatible. KE.11A0N.002.  Less than $20 so maybe worth a try. Plenty of vendors. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Theduder
     I am thinking the same. Interestingly the qca9377 takes up only 2/3 of the socket but the alternative you noted is the same fit as the ax200. I will certainly look into it, thanks for the lead.