Acer Predator PT715-51: DisplayPort Monitor Will Not Work with Thunderbolt 3 Dock

shinobi441
shinobi441 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hello,

Laptop: Acer Predator PT715-51
Monitor: Dell S3220DGF
Thunderbolt 3 Dock: CalDigit TS3

I am having connectivity issues with connecting a DisplayPort Monitor to my Thunderbolt 3 dock. The dock connects to my laptop via a Thunderbolt 3 cable. The monitor plugs into the dock using a DisplayPort 1.2 cable (on both ends). When hooked up in this way, my Nvidia GTX 1080 Max-Q detects the display, and even recognizes it through the TB3 port, but it cannot activate it at all no matter what I try. See below.

Nvidia Control Panel: What is odd is when looking at the PhysX screen, the monitor stays greyed out no matter what I try. When going to set up multiple displays, the monitor is again detected correctly through the dock, but click the checkbox to activate it does not work. It doesn't do anything, but an "Apply Changes" message pops up.

The last thing is my laptops manual, which DOES stay the TB3 port can in fact receive DisplayPort signals, so I'm unsure why this is such a pain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Below is a list of all the troubleshooting I have done so far:
  1. Confirmed my DisplayPort Cable is 1.2 and it does work when not being used with the TS3. It was my primary cable before getting this dock and still works with other devices.
  2. The monitor on its own works fine. Can confirm it works on its own even today when not using the TS3.
  3. I obtained the latest Thunderbolt 3 updates via Acer and Intel even. I cannot upgrade any further past the version I have now. I am confident my Windows 10 is up to date as well.
  4. I can confirm that Thunderbolt 3 functionality of the TS3 works as a whole. I daisy chained an audio interface to the TS3 and that works with no issue.
  5. Firmware of the TS3 dock is fully up to date and validated with the manufacturer. 
  6. The Thunderbolt 3 cable I am using is of the highest data transfer and power transfer ratings.
Best,
Mike P.