Acer Predator Orion 3000-620 power supply

Halfyboy
Halfyboy Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2021 in Predator Desktops
I'm getting my Acer Predator Orion 3000, with the rtx 3070 and i7-10700, in a couple of weeks, but have realised that the 500w power supply it comes with is too weak to what I'm comfortable with. I'm new to pc, so my confidence is not very high when it comes to all the parts and changing them. I do think that I'm able to swap the PSU myself, but then comes my question. After searching about which PSU I can switch it with, most of them should fit in the case, but how do I choose between modular, semi modular and non-modular PSU's? Which ones are the most reliable and which ones are the easiest to implement. And do I have to worry about the pins they have, and if they will fit with the components in my pc? Thanks:)

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    If you have the 500W supply in your model then you are at the max until some third party supplies start shipping with more oomph. Acer (and some other manufacturers) are shipping their new designs with the ATX12VO supplies that Intel is now specifying as standard. These supplies are single rail, 12V only, so cost less to manufacture and should be more reliable due to their simpler design. The current issue is that the third party PSU manufacturers are still only building the old designs. Acer has 180W, 300W and 500W versions, and possibly others, but places like Amazon still don't have any.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    If you have the 500W supply in your model then you are at the max until some third party supplies start shipping with more oomph. Acer (and some other manufacturers) are shipping their new designs with the ATX12VO supplies that Intel is now specifying as standard. These supplies are single rail, 12V only, so cost less to manufacture and should be more reliable due to their simpler design. The current issue is that the third party PSU manufacturers are still only building the old designs. Acer has 180W, 300W and 500W versions, and possibly others, but places like Amazon still don't have any.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Halfyboy
    billsey said:
    Let me get that straight. Are you saying that upgrading to a higher watt power supply isn’t possible at this time with this pc?
  • billsey
    That seems to be the case, though I haven't tried every potential place that would supply PSUs. The feedback I've been seeing here is that there aren't yet any available. When someone just needs to upgrade from the smaller ones for a GPU card we just point them at Acer for the 500W (or even the 300W is that's appropriate) but for someone needing a 650W or larger they are out of luck until one or more of the PSU manufacturers starts shipping the new ones.
  • Halfyboy
    I see. I did some googling and it seems, just like you said, that these power supplies are fairly new, so it makes sense that they’re not widely used yet. I’ll just cross my fingers that it’ll be enough for the system. Thanks for clarifying!
This discussion has been closed.