Help, Acer Laptop F5-573G Windows 10 Error "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)"

FunkyOnion
FunkyOnion Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi, My Acer laptop F5-573G-58GV has recently started constantly displaying "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" in Windows 10 x64 Home device manager and refreshes every couple of seconds. The three USB ports appear to work okay and it keeps displaying this error even if all the USB ports are not in use. I've tried updating the drivers, reinstalling Windows 10 from a USB drive and creating a Windows local user account and the problem still persists.

Can somebody please help me?

Many Thanks

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    FunkyOnion
    Try to do a bios default and install the driver from acer site.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/drivers

If you still have the issue then there s a hardware issue in one of the ports. Like a loose connection inside the ports.
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • FunkyOnion
    Thanks christy1 for the response.

I loaded the BIOS defaults and the problem persisted. I also downloaded all the relevant drivers and installed them all but still getting regular port failed error. I tried looking up the hardware device and vendor ID but Windows 10 is adamant that its own driver is best and will not allow me to change manually.

I might try installing Linux or a earlier version version of Windows temporarily to see if the fault persists.
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Thanks christy1 for the response.

I loaded the BIOS defaults and the problem persisted. I also downloaded all the relevant drivers and installed them all but still getting regular port failed error. I tried looking up the hardware device and vendor ID but Windows 10 is adamant that its own driver is best and will not allow me to change manually.

I might try installing Linux or a earlier version version of Windows temporarily to see if the fault persists.

super way to check if its driver issue, if its happening in linux then its port issue. hope its helpful.
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • FunkyOnion
    After lots of trial and error the failed port was displaying as hub # 01 port # 16 even though this laptop only has four USB ports. I've reinstalled Windows 10 again from USB and it continued until I turned off the power management for all USB hardware in the Device Manager. All USB ports have always continued to with this issue.

I hope this helps anyone else in this situation to stop Windows trying to manage the power to the USB ports and stop the continual notifications.