trying to dock my A515-43-R19L

SuziComputes
SuziComputes Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

However, there is no USB-C port. Can I use a USB to USB cable, will it work to dock, will it charge the battery or at least keep the machine at operating levels while docked with USB to USB?

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,923 Pathfinder
    @SuziComputes
    Are you trying to connect a monitor using a dock to the Acer laptop
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • SuziComputes

Tinkerer

I have a Dell computer and dock, and am hoping to connect my husband's Acer computer to the same dock (mine will not be docked at the same time, obviously). He has a week long web conference, and our wifi is spotty, but he could use the hardline on the dock to have a consistent connection. I already have two monitors on this dock, and the dock has a hardwired USB-C cable, but the Acer has no USB-C port. Schematics indicate that the Dell dock should work with the Acer machine...
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Which dell dock? i wasnt aware they supported USB-USB :)  Most use their custom interface -> USB-c or thunderbolt, power delivery wouldnt work as thats a USB-C feature! 
  • SuziComputes

Tinkerer

This is the dock that I have. The "helpful" folks at Amazon tech assured me (not that I give them much credit) that it would be compatible. I may need to get a new cable, or could I get an adapter to put on the dock's USB-C cable to connect to the Acer's USB 3.1?

Amazon.com: Dell WD15 Monitor Dock 4K with 180W Adapter, USB-C, (450-AEUO, 7FJ4J, 4W2HW),Black,Dual Display: Computers & Accessories
  • Leostat
    Ahh ok, you would need to use a Female USB-C to USB-A adapter but i would be really supprised if it worked as its not designed to and thats a non standard thing sorry :( 
  • SuziComputes

Tinkerer

That's what I'm hoping. I'll report back after the adapter comes in, wish me luck!
  • Leostat
    🤞 If it does work definatley report back as in theory it may work, the data pins are going to data, but at the same time its not really supported. My one worry is the power delivery (charging over USB), but that shouldnt kick in as the other side wont report it as capable of doing it. If for whatever reason it does kick it it may fry the port
  • SuziComputes

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    Will that be something I can replace as a total rookie, if I do fry the port? I'm pretty remote and taking it in isn't an option...

• Leostat
    edited February 2021
    It isnt, USB ports are built into the motherbaord so if its dead its dead :(, if you have a sacrifical PC you dont care about i would try it on that first