Aspire 3 A315-23-R4L4 trackpad not working, not appearing in device manager nor bios

johnnyweebknife
johnnyweebknife Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hello, I've made an account just for this question
Today I've just bought this exact laptop, it came without an OS, so I installed Windows 10 on it and immediately I hit a lot of problems.

The touchpad/trackpad is not working at all, it wasn't working even in the OS installation from the very beginning. I've tried installing both driver versions (from the two different vendors), both normally and in compatibility mode (windows 8). I've tried installing whatever serial I/O drivers I could find. I saw a video on YouTube that has shown that a possible fix might be physically disconnecting the touchpad from the motherboard, but on my model this isn't possible -- it's fixed in place with some sort of glue.

I cannot find "A315-23-R4L4" mentioned anywhere else on the internet, except for the site I bought the laptop from. It's got a Ryzen 3500u for reference.
Has anyone got any luck with this problem? If I messed up somehow, can somebody walk me through all of this? The windows is freshly installed, so I am not opposed to reinstalling if it comes to it (the laptop has an SSD, so I don't know if formatting is a good idea)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    Hello, I've made an account just for this question
    Today I've just bought this exact laptop, it came without an OS, so I installed Windows 10 on it and immediately I hit a lot of problems.

The touchpad/trackpad is not working at all, it wasn't working even in the OS installation from the very beginning. I've tried installing both driver versions (from the two different vendors), both normally and in compatibility mode (windows 8). I've tried installing whatever serial I/O drivers I could find. I saw a video on YouTube that has shown that a possible fix might be physically disconnecting the touchpad from the motherboard, but on my model this isn't possible -- it's fixed in place with some sort of glue.

I cannot find "A315-23-R4L4" mentioned anywhere else on the internet, except for the site I bought the laptop from. It's got a Ryzen 3500u for reference.
    Has anyone got any luck with this problem? If I messed up somehow, can somebody walk me through all of this? The windows is freshly installed, so I am not opposed to reinstalling if it comes to it (the laptop has an SSD, so I don't know if formatting is a good idea)

Your Aspire 3 A315-23-R4L4 has either a Synaptics or ELANTECH trackpad, seeing that you downloaded the OEM drivers from Acer and tried to install them and they didn't work, it seems to me that your trackpad is faulty and/or its not connected properly to the mobo or the cable is faulty? If your A315-23-R4L4 is under any sort of warranty? Send it either directly to Acer Service or send it back to where you bought it from, otherwise open the top cover and check if the trackpad board is connected properly to the mobo and the cable is not faulty? Trackpads are usually very reliable and very rarely go wrong and their appropriate OEM drivers or when you install Win-10 should all make them work instantly, otherwise and if it doesn’t, then, the actual board/cable is faulty and needs replacing which is usually the top cover with the trackpad combined. Check all these factors and do the appropriate things.