Where can i find a picture/diagram of the motherboard E5-511P

brucemc777
brucemc777 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Where can i find a picture/diagram of the motherboard which has each of the connection points (ribbon cables and the like) labeled? I'm afraid after doing some surgery on what i thought was a power problem, i restored power but now the keyboard, touch-pad and speakers do not work. I am trying to determine which connectors i need to address. Most unfortunately, i have human sized hands, not squirrel monkey hands, and i'm afraid i must of not reconnected something properly when i put all the pieces back together (I went as far as to completely remove the MB. No great feat, but for me, a great feat, especially if it would work when i put it back together).

I am able to use the USB ports to run an external keyboard and mouse. Wife is definitely not happy with me...

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The ribbon cable end connectors usually line up with the  correct connector sockets on the mainboard. Due to their small size and tight-fit, they are difficult to lock into place properly and fail to make good contact. Tweezers are recommended. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Might help if you could reveal your full ACER model number. For example, A515-52??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brucemc777
    Thank you Jack! it is E5-511P-P1QH according to the label on the back.

I much appreciate your responding-
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The ribbon cable end connectors usually line up with the  correct connector sockets on the mainboard. Due to their small size and tight-fit, they are difficult to lock into place properly and fail to make good contact. Tweezers are recommended. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brucemc777
    Many thanks!

I wlll have to open her back up to verify, but from my marginal memory, i can recognize that the relative positions all seem correct. I suspect my only way to proceed is to target a function, such as speakers to start simple, re-set the ribbon in the clamp, then reboot and test. Regardless, what you sent to me gives me the basis to specifically address without having to rely on my judgement; most seem rather obvious, but relying on "rather obvious" has lead me astray before.
  • JackE
    The flat flexible ribbon cable ends often have a fine line imprinted across their width. This line should be parallel to and barely visible when fully inserted into the mainboard connector socket. If it's a bit c ock-eyed, it may not be properly inserted in the socket. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brucemc777
    Thank you!

Unrelated, at least not directly related - Look at all that space they have to work with that cable and latch!!! :-1:
  • JackE
    I find that the keyboard socket on the top of the mainboard is often hardest to insert & lock the ribbon properly. I always have to use a tweezers to hold it in place while nesting the keyboard in the top case. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brucemc777
    And trying to get a nice bright light into that crevice of a space to try to make sure all is being positioned right isn't exactly easy either!