Laptop turns off randomly Aspire E 15 E5-575G-55NW)

KRUMBS
KRUMBS Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have a Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-575G-55NW). SNID: XXXX. BIOS version: V1.12.

Recently, I have been having a problem where the laptop shuts off randomly. This seems to be a very common issue among many Acer users but I haven't found a solution that works. The restart is always quick (so it feels more like the laptop is just coming out of hibernation, but it was a restart because all my browsers, etc were closed). 

Doesn't seem to be an overheating issue nor does the laptop shut off because the battery is dead. Does anyone have any suggestions to resolve this? I've tried resetting the battery via the pinhole but that is all I have tried so far. 

I've run through all the ACER CARE checkups: battery health is good, ssid is good, no updates to perform. 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title and to hide sensitive information

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,923 Pathfinder
    @KRUMBS
    Try the below step
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.

BIOS default: power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart​

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    KRUMBS

Does it happens when it's plugged in to the charger or unplugged. Try the steps below.

1 . Go to “Settings” from the Start menu, then click the “System” option.

2. Click “Power and Sleep” from the list of options. Make sure that the options under “Sleep” are set to a desired value.

3. Click “Additional Power Settings” under “Related Settings.” You will be redirected to the control panel.

4. Select “Change Plan settings” under your chosen power plan. Then click “Change advanced power settings” from the resulting screen.

5. On the “Power Options” window, expand each setting to make sure nothing is preventing your computer from going to sleep.

6. Once you are done, click “Apply” to save your settings.

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • KRUMBS
    Jack22 said:
    @KRUMBS
    Try the below step
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.

BIOS default: power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart​

Hey there! I have tried your suggestions, as well as the ones below. Unfortunately, none have worked and my laptop still shut off. Happened just now actually. Not sure if any additional info will help, as its very miniscule, but I always have my laptop on a flat surface and there i always a distinct "click" I hear when the laptop turns off. I

If you have any other suggestions to try I would appreciate it (such as updating BIOS, although I do not know how, and installing an app maybe?)
  • christy1
    KRUMBS

Since you said that you have a click sound. can you hear fan spinning? sometimes if fan is not spinning it will turn off. try to clean the fan if possible. also you can update the bios from acer site. enter snid and hit find. check for firm ware update. and install. pls install it if your sure with it,if firmware is not installed correctly then computer wont even boot up. 
  • KRUMBS
    christy1 said:
    KRUMBS

Since you said that you have a click sound. can you hear fan spinning? sometimes if fan is not spinning it will turn off. try to clean the fan if possible. also you can update the bios from acer site. enter snid and hit find. check for firm ware update. and install. pls install it if your sure with it,if firmware is not installed correctly then computer wont even boot up. 
    To be honest, I don't notice it as I am usually in class or working on an assignment and am not paying active attention; in fact, my laptop JUST turned off whilst doing an assignment. I do believe the fan is running though. Sometimes it is louder than at other times (currently there is a faint sound coming from the laptop. Unsure if it is the fan or something else but again, nothing different than before these random shut downs started happening). However, it is definitely not an overheating issue. I have tried everything except updating BIOS (which I am very hesitant to do because I am afraid of doing it incorrectly and ruining the computer) and taking the laptop apart, as I do not have a screwdriver that works with the screws on the back of my laptop. 

I've only had this laptop for 2-3 years and didn't start using heavily until this year. While I don't doubt the laptop fan needs cleaning, I can't imagine it being so bad that it is shutting my computer off; my last computer I owned 8 years and never had an issue like this. 
  • butthurt_86
    butthurt_86 Member Posts: 74 Devotee WiFi Icon
    That weird. I have exact same model e575G-58CR been using since 2017.  Never give me problem. Even gaming (on low setting).  Every month i clean up (vaccum). 
    Dust. Try view event logs on control panel what cause it shut down
  • christy1
    it happens sometimes and can be a easy fix also. try cleaning the fan and check. 
  • KRUMBS
    christy1 said:
    KRUMBS

Does it happens when it's plugged in to the charger or unplugged. Try the steps below.

1 . Go to “Settings” from the Start menu, then click the “System” option.

2. Click “Power and Sleep” from the list of options. Make sure that the options under “Sleep” are set to a desired value.

3. Click “Additional Power Settings” under “Related Settings.” You will be redirected to the control panel.

4. Select “Change Plan settings” under your chosen power plan. Then click “Change advanced power settings” from the resulting screen.

5. On the “Power Options” window, expand each setting to make sure nothing is preventing your computer from going to sleep.

6. Once you are done, click “Apply” to save your settings.

Seems like it only happens when it is not plugged to charger. I did as you said and went through every single setting. To me it looks normal; nothing preventing my laptop from going to sleep. Is there something I should be looking for?