SF314-54 - ACER Swift 3 overheating when charging

Options
ojmilton
ojmilton Member Posts: 7 New User
Hello,

I've noticed with my laptop that both the fan speed and temperature of the CPU are usually fine when they are running on battery.

However when I put it on to charge, the fan gets very loud with the CPU temperature getting as high as 90°c even if I'm not doing anything intensive. It will usually begin to get quieter after a few minutes but will sometimes flare up again for no reason.

Has anyone else had this issue before and can offer suggestions?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,473 Trailblazer
    Options
    Check your power options for both on battery and on AC. They are different and you might be trying for the highest performance when on AC power.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ojmilton
    ojmilton Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    Check your power options for both on battery and on AC. They are different and you might be trying for the highest performance when on AC power.
    Thank you for your suggestion, I've tried that and while its marginaly quieter, its still getting hot while plugged in.
  • SwiftOwner
    SwiftOwner Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    ojmilton said:
    Hello,

I've noticed with my laptop that both the fan speed and temperature of the CPU are usually fine when they are running on battery.

However when I put it on to charge, the fan gets very loud with the CPU temperature getting as high as 90°c even if I'm not doing anything intensive. It will usually begin to get quieter after a few minutes but will sometimes flare up again for no reason.

It is the heat generated by the charging system, if you noticed the heating starts from the side with the charging port, it's almost too hot to touch. I think it's something to do with Acer's charging technology. because a lot of devices face this, also I have noticed the fans clog up easily and slow down due to dust. so if you live in a dusty region please go to the nearest service centre and get it cleaned, doing it yourself will void the warranty.
  • Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    ojmilton said:
    Hello,

It is the heat generated by the charging system, if you noticed the heating starts from the side with the charging port, it's almost too hot to touch. I think it's something to do with Acer's charging technology. because a lot of devices face this, also I have noticed the fans clog up easily and slow down due to dust. so if you live in a dusty region please go to the nearest service centre and get it cleaned, doing it yourself will void the warranty.
    Opening electronics doesn't void the warranty unless something is damaged while doing so. Even if one part is replaced, the other parts are still covered under warranty.
  • billsey
    Options
    @Callistemon that is actually dependent on where the user is located. Warranties are quite different in different locales.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Theviper66
    Theviper66 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I just found the problem. A simple peace of tape, too long, holding a cable near the fan but holding the fan too so the fan cannot do his job🤷‍♂️

That's it😊

• billsey
    Options

That would certainly do it, the fan tends to move a lot less air when it's not actually spinning. :)