Advice on P03-620 - Upgrades?

skadk
skadk Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi guys,

Firstly, I have an Orion 3000 P03-620 that I bought last year. Its got i7-10700, RTX 2060 Super and 16gb RAM(2666). So far its been great and and fits exactly what I use it for, just a handful of specific games. I'm not a complete noob when it comes to PC gaming but I would love some advice from you guys. I would love to keep this system going but eventually upgrade it all little by little over the next year or so. I like the case, its compact and has decent airflow so my plan would be to keep the case. So my questions:

1. If your intention was to eventually upgrade everything in this system, where would you start? mobo? If mobo then what would your recommendation be(i.e. a better mobo but something that works with the current CPU/RAM config until I could upgrade those elements)?
2. Due to its compact size, would I have issues with things like a new mobo?(Having a hard time finding what size the one in it is) What about PSU, CPU cooler etc...?

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated! If you need any more info about my system please let me know!

Kris.

Answers

• Inertiaa
    Inertiaa Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have recently thrown some Noctua cooling at mine. i couldnt stand the noise from the stock fans so i  Swapped each 92mm fan and NH-U9S CPU cooler. The fans are an easy swap. The cooler and mounting of the cooler is a little bit more invasive. I got some tips off another thread here. The only problem i could see with a mobo swap is you are going to loose your front connectors (usb, usb-c and audio) and is mounting the same iam not sure iam relatively new to this my self. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    I wouldn't plan on a MB upgrade, just because of the loss of those front ports and because most replacement motherboards aren't yet setup for the ATX12VO power you have in your PO3-620. Yours is a DTX form factor which uses the same mounts as uATX does. You should be running 2933 ram in it, so that would be an upgrade if there is 2666 in right now. You have four DIMM sockets and each can handle up to 16GB, so 64GB max. My guess is you have two 8GB sticks in now, so the first upgrade would be to 32G using two more 8GBs. Be sure to do ram in matched pairs to take advantage of dual channel mode. That's likely plenty of ram for the foreseeable future. You can bump the processor from the current i7-10700 to an i9-10900 without any large effort, they both draw the same power (65W). An i9-10910 or faster will require better cooling, since those are 125W CPUs. Check your drive model, you might have a NVMe 3.0 x2 drive from the factory and the system supports x4 instead, for close to double the performance. If you are running on a HDD then adding the M.2 NVMe x4 SSD is an obvious first choice for upgrades.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • skadk
    skadk Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you Billsey, exactly the type of info I was looking for. I was not aware that I can use 2933 RAM in this system, I thought I was stuck to 2666. Appreciate other info provided, has definitely helped me decide what way to go with this machine :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Let us know what you end up doing... It's always nice to see what works and what doesn't.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.