Do I void my warranty if I install Linux alongside Windows 10? (A315-22)

Options
Samaritan
Samaritan Member Posts: 3 New User
I'm currently using an Acer Aspire 3 (A315-22) that comes preinstalled with Windows 10. I'm still in warranty and would like to install Linux, but am afraid I would void any warranties I have active if I was to install an alternative operating system onto the laptop. I've heard one some topics here that installing a Linux distribution alongside the preinstalled Windows 10 won't void the warranty, but those were a few years old and I'm unsure if the policy has changed since then.

If I was to install, say, Arch or any Ubuntu-based distribution, but keep Windows 10 installed and available to boot from GRUB, would this keep my warranty active still?

Specs:
AMD A9-9420E
8GB DDR4 1866MHz SODIMM
1TB Toshiba HDD
Windows 10 Home

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @Samaritan
    No it will not void the warranty. If you are running Linux and for example your hard drive goes out, Acer will replace the drive if the system is under warranty but they will install the Acer OEM operating system on the drive before shipping it back. They have to do this in order to test the drive properly, since Linux is not a supported operating system. Hope this helps!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!