Laptop freezing at predator screen with 2 ssd attached triton 700

Buhtay
Buhtay Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2021 in Predator Laptops
I've owned a triton 700 for a year now and ran out of space for games on the stock raid 0 2x259ssd. I recently purchased 2x1tb wd black gaming cards but no matter what I do both cards refuse to work together. I've managed to load windows on a single card but if both cards are installed it just won't do anything past the predator loading screen and even at times it's just a black screen. I've heard people having upgrade success with evo 970s but I don't understand why it will work separately but not together

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Are there any options for drive mode / raid config ? My guess is the laptop is treating the two drives as raid from the get go
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    Hi,
    You could try this method, backup all your important data to an external HDD, download and install Macrium reflect, run it and backup the image of 2x256GB  to an external HDD, create a bootable USB disk, remove 2x 256GB SSDs and install only a single 1TB SSD, insert USB recovery disk and connect the external HDD where you have the image backed up, go to BIOS and change the boot order to make USB disk as your first boot device, recover the image from the HDD to 1TB SSD, then start using it for a while, then you can install the second 1TB drive and see whether it works as the storage drive.
    You may need the following:
    Spare HDD, USB disk and a USB to SATA cable.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free you can use Free Home edition.
    Creating rescue media - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect (howtogeek.com)

• Buhtay
    That's what I assumed but no the bios is locked and sata can't be changed. Can't for the life of me understand why a 2000$ laptop is bios locked and write prevention locked as well. I went through cmd and wiped all volumes and formatted each one. I was able to get windows running on each one by them self but with both cards installed it won't even let me get to f12 menu it just freeze's. Ide hate to think I'm doomed to 1tb being as my original 500gb was full. Push comes to shove I'll get a external lightning drive and store my games on that.
  • Buhtay
    Hi,
    You could try this method, backup all your important data to an external HDD, download and install Macrium reflect, run it and backup the image of 2x256GB  to an external HDD, create a bootable USB disk, remove 2x 256GB SSDs and install only a single 1TB SSD, insert USB recovery disk and connect the external HDD where you have the image backed up, go to BIOS and change the boot order to make USB disk as your first boot device, recover the image from the HDD to 1TB SSD, then start using it for a while, then you can install the second 1TB drive and see whether it works as the storage drive.
    You may need the following:
    Spare HDD, USB disk and a USB to SATA cable.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free you can use Free Home edition.
    Creating rescue media - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect (howtogeek.com)

I don't think that's the issue. I'm not 100 interested in saving anything cause it's nothing but games I can download again. I haven't tried putting my old drives back in yet but it may be worth a shot to see if it's one of the drives I got. Wouldn't make.much sense because I can install windows on each one independently but together it won't even boot bios or usb it just freezes at the predator screen. I was able to get both drives working one time as separate c and d drives but I was still having the booting issue of it freezing.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    If you whack cntrl+s on the main tab then cycle through does it unlock the options for you?