Upgrading an Acer Orion 5000 PO5-600) rtx 2060 i5 8600k

Mistyy
Mistyy Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2021 in Predator Desktops
Hi all, 

As the title says - I have the Acer Orion 5000 (PO5-600) rtx 2060 with a i5 8600k.

The case and fans etc. are brilliant, so I wanted to keep that, but upgrade to the i9-10900k which means I need a new motherboard, I am thinking a ASUS TUF Gaming Z490 plus. 

I have only ever added in new RAM so not exact a computer scientist here!

So I want to ask, Will this be easily doable? Will I need to buy anything else to make it work or fit like leads or a new cooling unit? Will all the USB's still connect up properly? Has anyone else upgraded their Orion?

Any tips, tricks and info will be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Best Answer

• Tachi13
    Tachi13 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Mistyy

Thanks for the question. It is really good that you're trying to upgrade your CPU for better gaming performance. Installing a new MB is really easy, you're going to remove the cables from the PSU and the LED strips and Cabinet's IO etc, and plug those back into your new MB for your new CPU i9 10th gen. All you need to check beforehand is, if the RAM DDR4 is compatible with your new MB slots, which should be compatible already. The cooling unit and the USB should still connect properly. It is easy, really. 

Please click on "Yes" if this answered your question.
    Click on "Like" if you found this to be helpful. 

Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful. :):)

Answers

• Tachi13
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Mistyy

Thanks for the question. It is really good that you're trying to upgrade your CPU for better gaming performance. Installing a new MB is really easy, you're going to remove the cables from the PSU and the LED strips and Cabinet's IO etc, and plug those back into your new MB for your new CPU i9 10th gen. All you need to check beforehand is, if the RAM DDR4 is compatible with your new MB slots, which should be compatible already. The cooling unit and the USB should still connect properly. It is easy, really. 

• Mistyy
    Tachi13 said:
    Hi @Mistyy

Wow thanks for the speedy reply.

I want to keep my SSD and all that intact, will I need to reinstall windows? And I wonder if all my data on the hard drive and SSD will still work fine on the new motherboard and CPU? I am guessing I will also have to relog in to all my accounts with passwords etc?

Thanks again!
  • Tachi13
    Mistyy said:
    Tachi13 said:
    Hi @Mistyy

I want to keep my SSD and all that intact, will I need to reinstall windows? And I wonder if all my data on the hard drive and SSD will still work fine on the new motherboard and CPU? I am guessing I will also have to relog in to all my accounts with passwords etc?

Thanks again!
    That is not really the case, but yes, since it is a new MB and CPU, it is totally a new configuration for the OS in your SSD get cozy with the new tech. I recommend you to have a Recovery media with you handy if it asks for a bootable device. Adding more RAM will showup as a change in hardware when you boot for the first time, but changing the CPU and motherboard is a different story right? installing the hardware is easy, the software is a little lengthy process which is just a chance, you may need to reinstall OS or you may not. Logging in back again depends on what kind of accounts, if it is user accounts, you have to login again, accounts from website may have Credentials saved in google account if you've backed it up. I don't login websites on a new computer, I just add my google account to the chrome browser and it autofills my password and all I have to click is login/sign in on other websites. @Mistyy, I think it will be really fun to upgrade the MB and CPU. Best of luck. 
  • Mistyy
    Tachi13 said:
    Mistyy said:
    Tachi13 said:
    Hi @Mistyy

Thanks again!
    Thank you - I ordered a USB key drive to make a recovery media file. So for example, will all of my steam games need reinstalling after I fit the new motherboard and CPU, despite them still being on my hardrive and SSD? Or is it best to delete games and programmes that I plan to bring over to the upgraded machine and then reinstall them instead? 

Thanks again. 
  • Tachi13
    Mistyy said:
    Tachi13 said:
    Mistyy said:
    Tachi13 said:
    Hi @Mistyy

Thanks again!
    Thank you - I ordered a USB key drive to make a recovery media file. So for example, will all of my steam games need reinstalling after I fit the new motherboard and CPU, despite them still being on my hardrive and SSD? Or is it best to delete games and programmes that I plan to bring over to the upgraded machine and then reinstall them instead? 

Thanks again. 
    It is best to reinstall the game so it can understand the configuration for best results. Normally the game would run, but if it throws you an error or missing files, simply reinstalling it would work.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Note that you likely want to change the memory, since the 8th gen chipset runs at a different speed than the 10th gen does.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mistyy
    billsey said:
    Note that you likely want to change the memory, since the 8th gen chipset runs at a different speed than the 10th gen does.
    Hi there, the current RAM in there is 'RAM- 8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)' - will that not be compatible with the i9 then? Thanks! 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    The 10th gen i5 uses DDR4-2666, the i7 and i9 use DDR4-2933.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.