Aspire v7 - recovery ssd image?

Jamestpc
Jamestpc Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi folks,

couple months ago my son was troubleshooting a booting issue on my laptop - in the end he used an asus recovery tool to bring it back to life.

well the acer folder no longer exists and i checked and the recovery drive is no longer populated - he must have forcefully deleted all drives.

im trying to install a new ssd sata into the machine but i cannot install the OS without the recovery drive.

anyone able to suggest how to get this restored?  Needless to say the acer support route has been endlessly frustrating.

thanks

Answers

• PeterHodgson
    PeterHodgson Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    There's a guy on eBay sells copies of Acer recovery disks for £7.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @PeterHodgson, that person is doing it illegally then. Acer can sell them, but anyone other than authorized resellers would be getting your a pirated version. Remember that the media includes a Windows license... @Jamestpc you should be able to reinstall Windows from an installer created from the Microsoft download of the OS. It will be like the one your son put on, without any of the Acer specific programs, but it will work. You already have the license embedded in your BIOS. Better would be to clone your old drive to the new one, since all the drivers will already be correct without waiting for Windows update to get them right for you. If you want to have the Acer apps and such again then you can get the recovery media from Acer. In the US or Canada you can purchase from the Acer store, elsewhere you contact Acer support for them.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PeterHodgson
    PeterHodgson Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hi
    The retail downloads of Windows from the MS download sites don't recognise the oem product keys, you need an oem version of windows 7. The recovery disks have a blanket license for the manufacturer, so along with the coa label on the bottom of the laptop you should be legal, but don't quote me on that !