G236HL monitor brightness & contrast adjustment problem

HollyMac
HollyMac Member Posts: 4 New User
I picked up an Acer G236HL monitor. I have used different plugs and computers, windows 7, 10, and Linux. When I adjust the brightness and contrast, on the monitor, nothing happens. For example, I change the brightness from 100% to 0%, the screen stays the same. Anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

Answers

• HollyMac
    FYI. I am still not sure why the buttons on the monitor don't work, but I was able to adjust the screen brightness, contrast, and colors by downloading the AMD Radeon graphics driver and using the GUI to adjust the settings.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Likely the GPU was overriding the monitor settings.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HollyMac
    Interesting. It didn't work on my other laptop with an Intel Graphics card either. I have it dual booted with Windows 7 and Linux and it didn't work with either operating system, so it being a Graphics card / GPU (not really sure what the difference between the two is) "issue" seems likely.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Graphics card is typically a card you plug in to the system, a GPU (Graphics Processing Units) can be a card or can just be some chips soldered to the motherboard. Also a lot of the newer GPUs are actually just part of the CPU and not a separate chip.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.