Aspire ES1-512 issues

smileykylie99
smileykylie99 Member Posts: 3 New User
My cousin recently sold me her old laptop a few days ago.. She had completely reset it so it was like new so I had taken it home to set it up and put all my information etc.. My cousin told me to uninstall McAfee and to install a different anti virus AVG. I had no problems until I went to my aunts and was on her wifi, I went to play Roblox w my other cousin and thats when it showed a blue screen and said it had to reset.. Once it rebooted it wouldn't show any available wireless networks and wanted me to connect a Ethernet plug in.. I googled the issue and I checked network adapters and it had a yellow triangle for the wireless Qualcomm Atheros AR956x so I tried updating it and rebooting it, nothing.. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and then restarting and nothing worked.. I was told to download a updated driver from the support page, followed all the instructions and I restarted it, it worked for a bit then it would freeze and crash and after it rebooted the same issue would occur.. I downloaded and installed a tool to update all outdated drivers and when I updated everything and rebooted once again, I cant access my touchpad/cursor and I cant connect to wifi.. I'm literally out of options and I am frustrated.. If anyone has advice PLEASE let me know because I'm gonna lose it lol

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Uninstall any non_microsoft virus scanners like AVG. Microsoft's Defender and Malicious Software Removal  tool are all that most folks need. I also suggest that you uninstall the wifi driver again, exit Device Manager without trying to re-install anything. Then shutdown Windows normally. Then turn it back on and test the wifi again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• smileykylie99
    JackE said:
    Uninstall any non_microsoft virus scanners like AVG. Microsoft's Defender and Malicious Software Removal  tool are all that most folks need. I also suggest that you uninstall the wifi driver again, exit Device Manager without trying to re-install anything. Then shutdown Windows normally. Then turn it back on and test the wifi again. Jack E/NJ
    I just went ahead and reset everything again to start completely over again and the touchpad/cursor still won’t work and it still won’t recognize wireless networks .. Wants me to connect Ethernet cable instead 
  • JackE
    How did you do the reset? An ALT+F10 cold boot erase-everything factory reset? A partial Windows refresh while trying to save your personal files and installed apps? What kind of reset? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• smileykylie99
    edited January 2021
    JackE said:
    How did you do the reset? An ALT+F10 cold boot erase-everything factory reset? A partial Windows refresh while trying to save your personal files and installed apps? What kind of reset? Jack E/NJ

Factory reset 
  • JackE
    Did you use the ALT+F10 cold boot erase-everything factory reset method. Or did you try it from inside Windows environment? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,435 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    My cousin recently sold me her old laptop a few days ago.. She had completely reset it so it was like new so I had taken it home to set it up and put all my information etc.. My cousin told me to uninstall McAfee and to install a different anti virus AVG. I had no problems until I went to my aunts and was on her wifi, I went to play Roblox w my other cousin and thats when it showed a blue screen and said it had to reset.. Once it rebooted it wouldn't show any available wireless networks and wanted me to connect a Ethernet plug in.. I googled the issue and I checked network adapters and it had a yellow triangle for the wireless Qualcomm Atheros AR956x so I tried updating it and rebooting it, nothing.. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and then restarting and nothing worked.. I was told to download a updated driver from the support page, followed all the instructions and I restarted it, it worked for a bit then it would freeze and crash and after it rebooted the same issue would occur.. I downloaded and installed a tool to update all outdated drivers and when I updated everything and rebooted once again, I cant access my touchpad/cursor and I cant connect to wifi.. I'm literally out of options and I am frustrated.. If anyone has advice PLEASE let me know because I'm gonna lose it lol

Just as a further suggestion for your problem(s) and for specific drivers (that Win-10 update does not cover or install) for your Aspire ES1-512, go to the Acer Aspire ES1-512 driver site and look for your "TouchPad" driver under “Drivers” for your "ELANTECH” touchpad driver there.

Also as a first step with WiFi and BT functions (if you have installed the WiFi/BT drivers properly?) is to Reboot > Login to Win-10 and if the WiFi/BT functions don’t work still, then press F3 key or both F3 and Fn keys together and see if the WiFi/BT gets activated? 

With reinstalling the WiFi and BT drivers, for the Win-10 and WiFi’s latest Win-10 drivers look at this link for the Qualcomm Atheros v10.0.3.462 for AR956x for Windows 10 then and for the AR956x BT card driver, get it from Acer’s driver site that I provided the link above, for your appropriate driver for either the Atheros Bluetooth WB335 Liteon or the Atheros Bluetooth WB335 HAI or just the Bluetooth Driver Atheros version 10.0.1.0? It’s a simple process and installation ‘If You Do It Correctly”?