Is there a reason why my Aspire A515-55 battery indicator can't indicate battery power accurately?

mkn567
mkn567 Member Posts: 7 New User
At full charge it'll go from indicating over 5 hours left to then 2 hours to then 3.5 to then 1.4 hours. At this moment it is saying 1.51 hours with 38%. 
Is this another driver issue? 
PS. I'm lucky if i get 5 hours of usage, which is weird because I thought this was supposed to go for around 9 hours. (I wasn't doing anything too intensive?)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Open Device Manager. Click battery folder. Right click and uninstall all drivers you find in this folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Shut down Windows normally.  Turn it back on again. Be forewarned though, battery meters are notoriously inaccurate due to constantly changing loads depending on what's running, what's not running or what's intermittently running at any given moment the battery is being monitored. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mkn567
    mkn567 Member Posts: 7 New User
    JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Click battery folder. Right click and uninstall all drivers you find in this folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Shut down Windows normally.  Turn it back on again. Be forewarned though, battery meters are notoriously inaccurate due to constantly changing loads depending on what's running, what's not running or what's intermittently running at any given moment the battery is being monitored. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for the advice. I will try what you suggested.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with:
    I charged the laptop to the fullest last night and haven't opened it until right now. Clicking on the battery icon showed the following: 99%  2 hours 47 minutes.
    I checked again while I was writing this post and it showed: 98% 9hours 49 minutes.
    After finishing this post, it shows: 96% 6 hours 25 minutes.
    Note: I only have this one window open. 
    Would this be considered "normal" battery readout fluctuation?  

I think I got a lemon. I may just have to return this. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Yep. I frequently see that battery monitor behavior in my ACER & HP laptops. Stop watching and fretting over the battery meter. Enjoy using the machine. The meters notoriously innaccurate. Just uninstall all the battery drivers to drive to improve things a bit.Then reboot. The proof of the actual running hours is when you get a 10% low battery Windows warning to plug the charger in. But again this will depend strongly on how many apps and videos you have running  at the same time.Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ