"HDD Recovery Validation failed!" fix. Acer Aspire 7740

ibvvuki
ibvvuki Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello! So, I have an Acer Aspire 7740, which is running Windows 10, and I thought of restoring the whole system to how it would've came back in 2009-2010, but, that didn't work out for me. I tried the ALT+F10 keys, but that said "HDD Recovery validation failed! Press any key to continue....", and I also tried downloading the Acer eRecovery Tool app, but it would say that the installation failed. Any suggestions? (If anyone tells me the CD method, the CD-ROM drive is broken, and it won't open.)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Once Win10 is installed, the ALT+F10 method usually will no longer work properly. So google these keywords.  windows 7 iso archive download romanian. You can download the Win7 iso file then use Rufus to make a bootable Win7 USB installation thumbdrive to re-install Win7. You may have to use this link to download ACER Win7 drivers for devices.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ibvvuki

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Once Win10 is installed, the ALT+F10 method usually will no longer work properly. So google these keywords.  windows 7 iso archive download romanian. You can download the Win7 iso file then use Rufus to make a bootable Win7 USB installation thumbdrive to re-install Win7. You may have to use this link to download ACER Win7 drivers for devices.  Jack E/NJ

i have actually installed windows 7 home premium, 64 bit, and it also didn’t work. i’m planning to install windows vista on it, since the acer erecovery files i’ve downloaded are only for vista. 
  • JackE
    >>>i have actually installed windows 7 home premium, 64 bit, and it also didn’t work. >>>

What do you mean it didn't work? If it didn't work, it was never installed??? Something is wrong with your Win7 USB installation stick or the laptop's USB port.  Try another USB port or another USB pendrive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ibvvuki

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>i have actually installed windows 7 home premium, 64 bit, and it also didn’t work. >>>

What do you mean it didn't work? If it didn't work, it was never installed??? Something is wrong with your Win7 USB installation stick or the laptop's USB port.  Try another USB port or another USB pendrive. Jack E/NJ
    JackE said:

i meant that i installed windows 7, tried the ALT+F10 method, and it didn’t work. my usb ports work fine.

• JackE
    edited January 2021
    Sorry. As mentioned earlier, if Win10 or another operating system overwrites the original ACER factory Win7 version, the ALT+F10 method usually won't work. This is because the hidden factory recovery partition is no longer accessible even if a generic Microsoft Win7 version is re- installed. All the ACER drivers that should make the generic Microsoft Win7 version work like the original are downloadable at this link.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ibvvuki

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sorry. As mentioned earlier, if Win10 or another operating system overwrites the original ACER factory Win7 version, the ALT+F10 method usually won't work. This is because the hidden factory recovery partition is no longer accessible even if a generic Microsoft Win7 version is re- installed. All the ACER drivers that should make the generic Microsoft Win7 version work like the original are downloadable at this link.  Jack E/NJ

oh, now i got it. now i’m just gonna make a vista installer to run the erecovery thing to maybe try restoring the computer to factory settings
  • JackE
    If it were mine, I'd install Win7 not WinVista since all the factory Win7 drivers are downloadable from the ACER download site. I think Win7 is superior to WinVista and have many more third party applications that run better on Win7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ibvvuki

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    If it were mine, I'd install Win7 not WinVista since all the factory Win7 drivers are downloadable from the ACER download site. I think Win7 is superior to WinVista and have many more third party applications that run better on Win7. Jack E/NJ

theoretically you’re right, but one question. is there a way to get the factory restore hdd or restore the system to the factory defaults (acer defaults)?
  • JackE
    Only if the machine was sold in the US or Canada and only based on its individual serial number id (SNID), not its model number. Elsewhere, you must contact your regional ACER service center to see if you can still get the factory Win7 recovery USB stick. Be forewarned though. With Win7 no longer supported, factory Win7 recovery media seems to be phasing out and harder to get everywhere even in the US and Canada. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ibvvuki

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Only if the machine was sold in the US or Canada and only based on its individual serial number id (SNID), not its model number. Elsewhere, you must contact your regional ACER service center to see if you can still get the factory Win7 recovery USB stick. Be forewarned though. With Win7 no longer supported, factory Win7 recovery media seems to be phasing out and harder to get everywhere even in the US and Canada. Jack E/NJ 
    i just found out the fact is that the acer laptop originally had a 750GB HDD, and i think the recovery hard disk is there, but the laptop has now an ssd, so i’ll try swapping the hard drives.