Upgrade Acer Aspire 5510 to Windows 10 - IRQ

busman412
busman412 Member Posts: 9 New User
I have an Acer Aspire 5510 running Windows 7 SP1. I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 but get a blue screen with error message "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL". Installation then reverts to Windows 7.
I have tried multiple times to install Windows 10 both from a boot disk and Windows 10 download, but same error all the time. Have also tried to check and upgrade various drivers using downloads from Acer support site but nothing helps. Another tip I saw was to disable memory caching in the BIOS but there is no option in BIOS setup on an Acer 5510.
I also have an Aspire 4310 running Windows 10 (slow but it works), so not happy that I can't fix the 5510.
Any suggestions?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,835 Trailblazer
    If you made the Win10 USB installation stick using Microsoft's media creation tool, the HDD probably needs to be cleaned, re-partitioned and re-formatted from the command prompt and diskpart in the advanced option menu on the installation stick. If you can boot from the stick, go to the advanced options and get to the X ; \ command prompt, we can go from there. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• busman412
    Thanks Jack. I'm at the X: command prompt.
  • JackE
    OK. Good. At the X command prompt, enter 'diskpart'. You should then get the DISKPART>   prompt . Then enter the following two commands. If possible, please post a phone photo of the results of each command. If you cannot, please write down the result. You can get back to the X prompt by simply entering 'exit'

List Disk

List Volume

Exit

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• busman412

Screenshot of Acer 5510
  • JackE
    Are you booting from a Win7 DVD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• busman412
    Yes. I couldn't get past the Windows 10 boot disk "blue screen" IRQ error.
  • JackE
    Hold on. Did you try booting the Win10 stick from all the USB ports? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• busman412
    BIOS version doesn't give me the option to boot from USB

• JackE
    Check the BIOS Main tab that an F12 boot menu option is enabled. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• busman412
    Yep, it's enabled
  • busman412
    System BIOS Version: 3A11
  • busman412
    Thanks Jack. Must go. I'll be back later.
  • JackE
    OK. Next time try tapping the F12 key on startup with the Win10 boot stick. Nothing in the  DVD tray. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• busman412
    I tried the Windows 10 USB boot stick in all 3 USB slots, tapping F12 each time, including selecting 1) CD-ROM/DVD Drive and 3) Floppy Devices - 6 re-boots all up. Each time it would ignore the USB and boot directly into the Windows 7 already on the notebook.

I then tried running setup from the USB. It went through the "Installing Windows 10" process, re-booted a couple of times, then blue screen "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart" Stopcode: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and finally "We couldn't install Windows 10 - 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installaion failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation".

Is there a way to format the disk and start from scratch with a clean install?
  • JackE
    >>>I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10>>>

The 5510 is an XP era machine that was probably already upgraded previously to 32-bit Win7. So I think you should try to install the 32-bit  (or x86) version of Win10. I now suspect you're trying to install the 64-bit Win10 version on the USB stick that was made with Microsoft's media creation tool. Go back to the media creation tool and select the 32-bit version. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ