"No Bootable Device" Error Message E5-575

Like2Hike
Like2Hike Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
Get a "No Bootable Device" Graphic when I try to boot from the M.2 SSD. When I try to boot from the HDD I get a text message No Bootable Device Error Message.

Tried the Acer YouTube video "Fix" of F9 in BIOS, no help.

How do I recover?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Temporarily disconnect the drive or card that was added. Then try to boot from the factory drive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Like2Hike
    Thanks for the reply.

Tried booting from both drives solo multiple times. Removed the M.2 and tried booting from the HDD. Also the reverse. Moved the drives in the BIOS boot stack to make the current drive #1, no help.

Tried using the recovery USB (created from the HDD when I installed the M.2) that failed after about 75% progress.

Prior to this failure the m.2 had preformed faultlessly for six months.

More ideas?
  • Like2Hike
    Oh BTW. Both drives are known good. I have USB enclosures for both and can read/write to either drive via USB.
  • JackE
    Re-connect both drives. Then F2 into the BIOS menu again. Are both drives identified in the BIOS INFORMATION tab? What does BIOS BOOT tab look like? Phone photos would be helpful. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Like2Hike
    Jack you must have good Karma.
    I installed the HDD and F2 into BIOS > Boot
    At the top of the boot stack was the "Windows Boot Manager". Never seen that before. So F10 and see what happens. Based on the time, it booted from the HDD. I'm writing this reply from the E5.

What the heck happened? Still want a pic of BIOS > Boot?

It's been a month since the E5 has booted. :)
  • JackE
    I suspect a Win10 update originally got in there and messed with the BIOS firmware when you weren't looking. However, pressing F9 default usually assumes the original factory drive setup which you didn't have anymore by adding a drive. Re-entering the BIOS and simply exiting (without pressing F9 default) sets it back the way it was.  My guesses anyway.  :) Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Like2Hike
    JackE said:
    I suspect a Win10 update originally got in there and messed with the BIOS firmware when you weren't looking. However, pressing F9 default usually assumes the original factory drive setup which you didn't have anymore by adding a drive. Re-entering the BIOS and simply exiting (without pressing F9 default) sets it back the way it was.  My guesses anyway.  :) Jack E/NJ  

That rings true. It all started when I enabled F12 in order to dynamically switch the boot drive. Had done this many times after the M.2 install. Somehow F12 was disabled ( here's where the Microsoft update appeared). When I enabled F12, both drives failed to boot. That Win 10 update and the law of unintended consequences bit me hard. Likely F12 was never tested for that update.

The F9 setting Acer defaults and your request that I install the HDD was the magic. F9 was looking for a HDD, not the M.2.

Still unclear where Windows Boot Manager appeared, unless that was part of F9?

Thanks for your replies! :)

• JackE
    >>> It all started when I enabled F12 in order to dynamically switch the boot drive.>>>Somehow F12 was disabled ( here's where the Microsoft update appeared)>>>

There you go. When enabled, the F12 boot menu option in the BIOS Main tab is in fact WinBootMgr. Its menu allows you to boot from different bootable devices including a bootable USB thumbdrive if inserted in a port. Yes, a WinUpdate probably disabled the F12 option for your inconvenience. Congrats on your success!!! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Like2Hike
    Not all gold. Good news I can boot, Bad news I can only boot from the HDD, not the M.2.

Opened msconfig > boot tab and the M.2 does not appear. The M.2 appears in File Mgr.
    Changed the boot order in BIOS to: 1) m.2, 2) WBM, 3) HDD and it boots from the HDD

I'm guessing WBM needs somehow to recognize the M.2 or something in BIOS needs to change.

Any ideas?

If not, I'll start a new thread tomorrow addressing this issue.
  • JackE
    Try tapping F12 at boot time.  Does the WinBootMgr menu now show the m.2? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Like2Hike
    JackE said:
    Try tapping F12 at boot time.  Does the WinBootMgr menu now show the m.2? Jack E/NJ
    So tapped F12 50 or more times after power on. Ignored F12 and booted from the HDD. WBM menu? Didn't see that. 

I'm sure F12 is disabled in BIOS. Enabling F12 is what started this whole pickle. When I did enable F12 weeks ago, it refused to boot from either drive. Only "No bootable device". I'm 99% convinced caused by an errant Windows update.

If I were to enable F12 in BIOS, likely to fail again only to recover via F9 and HDD boot.
  • JackE
    edited January 2021
    With the F12 boot menu option disabled, did you also disable secure boot when changing the boot order?  You may have to temporarily set and save a supervisor password and re-enter the BIOS to do all this or it won't take? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Like2Hike
    Why not just upgrade/reinstall BIOS? Acer has a video which I've used before. Seems that would give me a new default BIOS free of any Win update crud. Should have a working boot order.
  • JackE
    So try it if disabling F12 while also disabling secure boot doesn't work. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Like2Hike
    edited January 2021

Fixed !!!

Installed the latest BIOS from Acer (it was on my HDD from July)
    Removed the HDD, left the M.2 SSD
    Plugged in the USB Recovery 
    Booted from the USB
    Initialed recovery
    Stalled for 5+ min at 77%, then installed Win 10

My take: A Win 10 automatic update screwed up the BIOS such that when I enabled F12 (dynamic boot select) it went into No bootable drive. Likely the update installed Windows Boot Manager into BIOS. Now F12 works but the drives (HDD & SSD) are preceded by WBM.

Thank you Microsoft for a half baked update, cost me a month of my life!

I'm writing this having booted from the HDD, the SSD is blank Win 10.

• JackE
    >>>A Win 10 automatic update screwed up the BIOS >>>

Yep. Makes perfect sense to me. Congrats on your success. Just make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app just in case another Win10 update tries to mess it up again when you're not looking. :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Like2Hike
    JackE said:
    >>>A Win 10 automatic update screwed up the BIOS >>>

Yep. Makes perfect sense to me. Congrats on your success. Just make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app just in case another Win10 update tries to mess it up again when you're not looking. :)   Jack E/NJ
    So far I've added a line in regedit to prevent automatic updates. Did this to the HDD couple days ago when it my only boot device. Fun to watch the boot, you get a blue screen and a wait spinner, after 10-sec the boot photo appears, then windows. Before the add, it would spend 5-min on wait, Oh didn't work, going back to previous. on & on.

Thanks for all your help. You got me on the path to figuring this out. :)