Triton 300 High Temps while using HP Omen 27" at 144hz refresh rate

Options
mothnode
mothnode Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hello folks, I've had my Predator Triton 300, 8GB RAM, GTX 1650, i7-9750H 2.60GHz for almost a year now. It is a fantastic beast and I love it. A couple of months ago I got HP Omen 27" for the 144hz refresh rate and was gaming successfully via Display Port since then with no issues. I never use Turbo mode or overclocking.

Lately laptop started to heat up a lot for reasons unknown. Base temperature with literally no application running is 58-65C. While gaming, for example Valorant, no matter the setting (Low to High, tested all options) always yielding minimum of 89C up to 99C with averages around 92C (which is way off from the supposed temps I read about online). With Max fan setting it goes down to 89 at most still. In fact with fans on Max setting and CPU usage at 1% is doesn't really cool down the laptop with nothing opened either.

I was wondering if it might be due to the fact that Triton 300 can't handle 144hz in general or 144hz specifically at 2560 x 1440 resolution due to overheating? However when I put it in 1920 x 1080 is still behaves exactly the same way. Now when I stopped using the monitor is still behaves the same with high temps so this got me thinking it could be some sort of malfunction (thermal paste? radiator? wrong temperature readings even?) rather than demanding hardware issue. I'm considering sending in the laptop into repair/diagnosis since I still have the warranty on it till end of March 2021.

What do you folks think?

Answers